Calibrate a compression tester

/ Calibrate a compression tester #12  
To answer your original question, yes, you can have your tester calibrated. Search your local yellow pages and you should be able to find a local industrial calibration service that will do it for you. All a compression tester is is a pressure gage really.
Just for example, this is who we use where I work Davis Calibration Services - Instrument Calibration Services On-Site or Pick-up & Return
I don't know wether or not they'll do one gage for a consumer or not, but you get the idea.

It's most effective to "calibrate" a gage near the middle of its range, so in theory, you should "check" that gage near 100 psi. Near either the upper or lower limit of the gage you'll see some "end effects" and will not get great results. Keep this in mind when purchasing any gage, and don't ever use a gage that is undersized to the pressure. ex: 100 psi gage on 200 psi. This will ruin your gages. You could very easily use your home air compressor to fill up an appropriate pressure vessel to a known pressure, then plug your compression tester up to the known pressure and you'd know how close it was. It might take a few adaptors to do so, but you should be able to do this for little or no cost.

/ Calibrate a compression tester #13  
Iplayfarmer said:
JB, could you be a little more clear about whether or not you like this style or not. :) ;)

?

I'll try. don't like them.

They can easily show a 30-50 psi variation due to leakage and operator technique. Bad data is much worse than no data as it allows you to confidently make horrendous decisions.

While you can statically cal the tool (plan on it being $100+), you would be better served to test an engine once a day for a month and determine the variability in test method using the tool. Very accurate calibrated tools can give wildly erratic results due to technique. That one is about the worst.

Or was that a rhetorical question? we get so little of that .... around here the specialty is more in line with snide quips and sarcasm.

/ Calibrate a compression tester
john_bud said:
Or was that a rhetorical question? we get so little of that .... around here the specialty is more in line with snide quips and sarcasm.

Yep. Sarcasm just doesn't translate as well in writing. Winking smileys can only do so much.

/ Calibrate a compression tester #15  
Come on guys.... most folk's aren't really mean-spirited. Emails and forums are difficult venues with which to promote genuine communication.

I can imagine that I've ruffled feathers when attempting to be flip --- I've flopped --- and didn't have a clue until later on.

I like a good ribbin' and try to figure that many comments are attempts to be in jest and not take 'em too seriously.

Bye the Bye --- you get that Bolen's goin'?? I'm waitin' with baited breath.... to smell diesel fumes again!

AKfish

/ Calibrate a compression tester #16  
AKfish said:
Come on guys.... most folk's aren't really mean-spirited. Emails and forums are difficult venues with which to promote genuine communication.

AKfish

I HOPE all understood that my reply was full of jocularity (or an attempt there in). My feathers are smooth! Slicked back in fact.

jb

/ Calibrate a compression tester
AKfish said:
Bye the Bye --- you get that Bolen's goin'?? I'm waitin' with baited breath.... to smell diesel fumes again!

AKfish

Nope. I'm waiting on more shims to adjust the timing on the pump. Plus I've been busy lately. Not going to work on it tonight! I don't think that would go over well... "Happy Vallentine's Day Honey. Here's a flower. I'm going to spend the night tinkering in the garage."

I don't know if the shims are going to do the trick, though. That's why the questions about a compression tester. I'm worried that even with the timing right it may not run. I want to check the compression and see if I'm due for an overhaul.