Need Replacement Middlebuster Shovel

/ Need Replacement Middlebuster Shovel #1  

daBear

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800
Recently, I was using my brand new Howse middle buster and broke the plow shovel. I thought the plow was up and backed up and one of the ears hit a snag and POW it was broken half in two. I have tried to weld it back with a DC TIG and it blew the point off the torch because of the fine grade Chinese slag steel it was made of. I live 80 miles from the Howse factory and they said they would be happy to sell me another high slag fine Chinese steel replacement and I graciously declined. Especially since they wanted $50 plus shipping for another wonderful piece of high test Chinese junk.

Does anyone know a site that sells replacement plow shovels for middlebusters that have real steel in them?? Somebody in America has got to still make real steel parts, somewhere.

/ Need Replacement Middlebuster Shovel #2  
daBear said:
Recently, I was using my brand new Howse middle buster and broke the plow shovel. I thought the plow was up and backed up and one of the ears hit a snag and POW it was broken half in two. I have tried to weld it back with a DC TIG and it blew the point off the torch because of the fine grade Chinese slag steel it was made of. I live 80 miles from the Howse factory and they said they would be happy to sell me another high slag fine Chinese steel replacement and I graciously declined. Especially since they wanted $50 plus shipping for another wonderful piece of high test Chinese junk.

Does anyone know a site that sells replacement plow shovels for middlebusters that have real steel in them?? Somebody in America has got to still make real steel parts, somewhere.

bear,

My suggestion is to use a cast field cultivator sweep instead of plow shovel. it is not as wide as big but it is made (cast) pretty stout, it is American made and the holes (two) should match your Howse middle buster. I have a link for TSC with the item # 05419 or their Wheatland Sweeps # 16656/48506. The one with the link below is $6 only.

Tractor Supply Company - Sweep 9 in Field Cultivator H 4-47

Below is the pic of Spring Tooth Shovel I bought to do a bit of bottom busting prior to tilling in my garden:

JC,

dsc03864zi5.jpg

dsc03866uh5.jpg

/ Need Replacement Middlebuster Shovel #3  
Bear,

I bought a heavy duty subsoiler not long ago. I did exactly as JC said...I went to TSC and bought the largest cultivator sweep, and a much smaller size, (for variety). They have several different sizes to choose from.

What's neat about it is the two bolt holes are standardardized between the pieces of equipment...the middlebuster, subsoiler, and cultivator sweeps, (blades). I say when you go...get at least a couple different sizes since they are so inexpensive...JC gave a good recommendation.

/ Need Replacement Middlebuster Shovel
Thanks and I believe I will pick that up also. I have a small and intermittent stream that runs through two acres of my back yard. I want to use the middle buster plow to re route the stream this summer when it is dry, so I will need the plow point or shovel replaced. But I do like the looks of the pictures you posted. Thanks for taking the time. Alex

/ Need Replacement Middlebuster Shovel #5  
daBear said:
Thanks and I believe I will pick that up also. I have a small and intermittent stream that runs through two acres of my back yard. I want to use the middle buster plow to re route the stream this summer when it is dry, so I will need the plow point or shovel replaced. But I do like the looks of the pictures you posted. Thanks for taking the time. Alex

You're welcome. I did not spent anytime at all. I have a pictorial archive on just about anything I have done or bought for my tractor for reference. By the way I found the sweep and chisel point work real well and better than middle buster plow for the fact I have turf tires and lack real traction. Once I busted the ground and tilled it with the tiller then the middle buster works great to make furrows as the ground is soft and do not need much traction.

JC,

/ Need Replacement Middlebuster Shovel #7  
Would this subsoiler be a good tool for digging a ditch?
Thanks,
Barney

Barneyhunts said:
Would this subsoiler be a good tool for digging a ditch?
Thanks,
Barney

Well yes and no, it depends on what you are looking for. I use a box blade for making a sloping side ditch. I am using a middlebuster to re route a small stream where I do not have room to work like I need to with a box blade. The problem with a middlebuster plow is a lot of the dirt will still have to be removed from the trench somehow. Also if you need something over a foot or so deep the middlebuster will not do well.

A small backhoe would be ideal, but I am working with what I have. Thanks Eastinlet, that is some good looking stuff on that site. I am going to email them and see where their products are sold.

/ Need Replacement Middlebuster Shovel #9  
daBear said:

This is an excellent place to find one, they have several different sizes, one larger than this one.

FURROWER 12 X 4.75 MM - Agri Supply

Thanks milkman, I just ordered two from Agri Supply. As with most web sites the trick is knowing the correct term to search with. Furrower is the trick with their site. I was using middlebuster, plow point, shovel, plow, and anything else I could think of but not furrower which does the trick.