Default probs with cub mower

I have a 1330 Cub Cadet mower. It runs great until it gets hot then it cuts off. It will start back up but dies unless you play with the choke. What could be causing this, carburator? Thanks.

Tractor
    Cub Cadets 104,129,149, Jinma 284

Default Re: probs with cub mower

It Could be the coil,sometimes they break down when they get hot.

Tractor
    tc-35 fwd 16la fel,hd bucket, folding ROPS, Deluxe hitch

Tee

I had a similar problem with my generator. It would run a while then quit then I would take the gas cap off and could see bubbles coming up from the supply hose. The fuel hose hung down below the carburator then came back up to it. It is gravity fed as I asume yours is. I routed the hose so that it was a continual downward slope from the tank to the carb and have not had a problem since. Make sure your fuel shut off valve is completely open and hose has no obstructions. I also routed the hose away from the heat just in case it was a vapor lock problem. There is alot of heat that comes off those little air cooled engines. (assuming again) I believe that if the problem was in the carb it would not run that long before the problem shows up. Good Luck. Let us all know what you find out.

Tractor
    JD 955, Economy Power King

Make sure your vent hole is not plugged in your gas cap. Next time this happens, remove
    the cap & see if that helps. It doesn't sound like it is the coil, because you say it still runs
    but you have to fiddle with the choke. If it was the coil, you would lose spark.

Tractor
    2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader

If you are playing with the choke it seems to me the engine is running lean not getting enough gas or getting to much air. By choking the engine you richen up the mixture. So the are few basic things to check, fuel filter (screen), vacuum leaks, plugged carb jets, low float level. AS other have said possible the coil. A rich mixture is easier to ignite than lean one. Just remember to kep it simple. Best of luck, let us know how you turn out.

Great advice! Thanks folks, I'm going to work on it today as we had a terrible storm last evening preventing any outside activities. I'll let you know what I find.
    I did notice that when I took the gas cap off to check for fuel the first time, it fired right back up and ran good for about 5 minutes. I'm hoping it's just a plugged gas cap vent but I'll check all the above suggestions.
    Thanks again.

Good news! It was the fuel filter. Thanks again for all your help.

Tractor
    Cub Cadets 104,129,149, Jinma 284

<font color=blue>Good news! It was the fuel filter. Thanks again for all your help</font color=blue>

Cool,Maybe you should check inside your gas tank for any crud.(if it happens again)[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]