CC 1872 Problems

/ CC 1872 Problems #1  

bambam

I have a Cub Cadet 1872 with a 60" mower deck, and I have been having a few nagging problems. I purchased this tractor about 5 years ago with 100 hrs on it. Today, the unit has a little over 300 hrs on the clock. I use it to mow approximately 3.5 acres of partially hilly (some steep) and gravely, dusty terrain with green stuff I call grass, but is really more a mixture of various weeds. I try to keep up with the air cleaner maintenance, as well as fresh engine oil/filter and occasional hydrailic fluid/filter changes. Some of the terrain is really too harsh for this tractor, at least with turf tires, but she really has held up well despite the abuse. Now, on to the problems.

First, ever since I purchased the tractor I have had a recurring issue with the starter. Specifically, the starter will spin but the starter gear will not slide on its shaft to engage the big gear (pardon my technical jargon). This is an intermittent problem which seems to be worse if the tractor has been sitting for a period of time. It only occurs when the engine is cold; when hot or recently run (within a few hours), the gear has never failed to slide. The problem may disappear for 2 months, then return with a vengence. At first, I would religiously unscrew and peel back the engine cover on the left side, slide a screw driver into the dark depths and "help" the little gear along while spinning the starter. Once started, I would carefully bend the cover back into place and screw down tight hoping to keep out dust and dirt, assuming dust and dirt were my main problem. It didn't take long for the screws to not get replaced and the cover to remain in a position for which I could get a screwdrive to the problem gear. The cover on vs. out of place has not made any difference in the frequency of issue. The starter is really down in a difficult place to get to, so I have somehow avoided pulling it out. Any ideas on the cause of this malady? Are there any "easy fixes", such as an appropriate lubricant? If nothing easy, any suggestion on how to fix?

The second problem relates to the power steering. Last season, after a half hour or so of running, the steering would develop a dead zone when trying to turn to the left, requiring more input to the steering wheel and a considerable lag before the tires actually turned as desired. This, of course, caused several interesting moments (trees beware). I suspect there is somehow air in hydraulics, but I have no idea how to purge the system. Any thoughts?

Any ideas, comments, or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

In the meantime, I have to figure out how to use the box blade on my new Kubota L3000DT (your discussions on box blades have been a big help). I need to grade the driveway (900' of terror twisting up the hill) and then do some landscaping.

Thanks for your input.
Bambam

/ CC 1872 Problems #2  
Hi Bambam,
I'm not familiar with your tractor & I don't know what engine it has, but I will give your
starter problems a shot. You can try spraying some lubricant into the gear--like WD 40 or
PC blaster. If dirt is causing your problems, that may help. If not, you will have to remove
the starter & replace the drive gear dit. Depending on the type of starter it can be a little
pricey. I just worked on a Kohler starter & the drive kit cost 60.00 +. You may be able to
go to an electric starter repair shop & they may have the parts that you need in stock at
a considerable lower cost. One other thought. The starter gear works on inertia. The speed
the starter turns is what causes the gear to engage. A weak battery will not turn the starter
as fast. The starter shop should be able to test the starter to see if it is ok. Hope this helps.

/ CC 1872 Problems
Thank you much for the reply, Ron. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner, but I've been a little busy. I should have noted this in the initial description, but the engine is a 18 HP Kolher twin cylinder gas engine. I have previously tried WD40 as well as fully charging a battery(ies) and even a new battery. I was not aware, however, that there was such a thing as a drive gear kit for a starter; that's probably where to go next.

Judging by the number of responses, I either posted my question in the wrong section or have very unique problems. At any rate, I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to read the post, and especially to Ron for his help.

Thanks again ya'll;
Bambam

/ CC 1872 Problems #4  
Bambam, just for kicks, the next time this happens, try using jumper cables or other heavy wiring from a spare battery (your car?) and hook the cables up directly to your starter. Disconnet the sparkplug wires so the engine doesn't start!
See if the starter will now spin fast enough to sling the engaging gear into the flywheel.

Could be your wiring doesn't have a good contact or ground somewhere and you're just not getting enough current to the starter.

This test will rule out battery and wiring problems and then you can focus on the starter and the flywheel.

mark

/ CC 1872 Problems #5  
Wd-40 is a good penetrant and cleaner for that bendix gear on your starter. By the way you describe it, it sounds gummed up. Even though it's a pain to pull that starter, it might be a good idea. A total cleaning of the gear and shaft and lubing with a low viscosity grease would probably help that. It would also be an opportunity to lube the shaft bearings and check the brushes and commutator as well. Just went through a similar experience with mine last year.

/ CC 1872 Problems #6  
Bambam, I think everyone has given you excellent advise on how to "treat" your problem. I have an 18 hp Onan twin on a utility vehicle which has similar problems when: 1. It has been sitting for awhile, unused; 2. The battery gets a little low. I use WD40 or some other spray penetrating oil and that seems to cure the problem for two or three months. Because I cannot get the aerosol can near the starter, I use a 1' section of 1/4" gasoline hose to help direct the spray of lubricant. By putting the little red nozzle extension into the hose, I can bend the hose and get it pointed directly at the starter bendix. Without using the hose, I end up spraying the bendix and the flywheel gear and everything else in the area. Even though you have a Kohler engine, I think this is a pretty common problem on this style of engine. Who knows; they may even use the same starter. ...hope this helps.