Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3300

Default Lincoln Electric AC/DC 225/125 Welder

Is this a good welder? Home depot has it for $389.
    Learned to weld with mig/wire feed, is the stick much harder to weld with?

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

Default Re: Lincoln Electric AC/DC 225/125 Welder

If you don't mind used check Craigslist or Ebay. I picked my 250 amp stick welder up with a hood for $70 on Craigslist. It works fine for me

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    century 2535

it's not a bad stick welder for the price.

for not much more you can get a Hobart handler mig welder if that's what you're used to.

and stick welding is similar to mig, except you have to feed the stick and swap it out for a fresh one when you run out instead of having a contunuous feed and the welds aren't as pretty unless you're VERY good with a stick.
    Erik
    Mahindra 3510, box blade, pallet forks, 6' KK mower...

chh
    Tractor
    MF 596 , MF 4243, MF 1433V, D4H, D3C

They are pretty nice welders. As stated it is different than mig, but you should be able to get used to it without too much trouble.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
    Will Rogers

The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale and pays the freight both ways.
    John F. Kennedy

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_in_Hoyt
    it's not a bad stick welder for the price.

for not much more you can get a Hobart handler mig welder if that's what you're used to.

and stick welding is similar to mig, except you have to feed the stick and swap it out for a fresh one when you run out instead of having a contunuous feed and the welds aren't as pretty unless you're VERY good with a stick.
    And they never will be until you learn how to weld with stick. MikeD74T

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Case 1190

Related Question: I have a Gas powered Lincoln Welder that has not been ran for about 4 years now. I would like to get it up and going. Besides the obvious stuff with the Gas engine, is there anything I should do with regard to the welder to minimize any problems with the "welding" part of the machine? Someone has told me that rust could cause problems on the generator parts??? Thanks for any insight....
    JeffandTamara
    DK35 - Buhler FEL - Great Bend 851 BH

Tractor
    JD 4200

Not so much rust as corrosion in general on the connections. I have a G8000 gas welder that quit working. I found one of the connections on a bridge rectifier got corroded and overheated. I replaced that connector then pulled all the other connectors cleaned them and applied dielectric grease. So far so good. It sits outside under cover, never had a problem with the engine a 16hp Briggs Vanguard, I do put Sta-Bil in the gas though.

M.D.
    2001 JD 4200, 420 loader, HF Quick Hitch, bucket boom, back blade, boom pole, forks, carry-all, moldboard plow, middle buster, receiver hitch, post hole digger.

My Pics
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/s...0/ppuser/33421

chh
    Tractor
    MF 596 , MF 4243, MF 1433V, D4H, D3C

Quote Originally Posted by JeffandTamara
    Related Question: I have a Gas powered Lincoln Welder that has not been ran for about 4 years now. I would like to get it up and going. Besides the obvious stuff with the Gas engine, is there anything I should do with regard to the welder to minimize any problems with the "welding" part of the machine? Someone has told me that rust could cause problems on the generator parts??? Thanks for any insight....
    The only thing I might suggest would be to blow out the welding unit with an air gun to get out any spider, mud dauber nests, ect. out of it before you start it up. I had a Lincoln SA 200 that had set for a couple of years and I never did a thing but start it up. It took a couple of minutes for it to blow all the junk out, but it did. That was most likely not the best way.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
    Will Rogers

The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale and pays the freight both ways.
    John F. Kennedy

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2006 Kama554; 92 Belarus 250AS

On my SA200 that sat for 25 years the brush holders were corroded and had to be cleaned / repaired for it to weld. If it has brushes make sure they are free. Mine had a mouse nest in it that had been made from an old rug. Little pieces of yarn were everywhere when I finally got it to start.
    2006 Kama 554, 92 Belarus 250AS, Bombardier Outlander Max 400.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Case 1190

Quote Originally Posted by Brad_Blazer
    On my SA200 that sat for 25 years the brush holders were corroded and had to be cleaned / repaired for it to weld. If it has brushes make sure they are free. Mine had a mouse nest in it that had been made from an old rug. Little pieces of yarn were everywhere when I finally got it to start.
    Thanks for the thoughts...I was worried there might be more than just getting it startted. Maybe the first step is to get a manual and see if there is a good way or at least the right way to get to the brushes. ...Yeah I can hear my wife now......when all else fails, try reading the directions...
    JeffandTamara
    DK35 - Buhler FEL - Great Bend 851 BH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast