Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tractor
    TC 40D w/ SuperSteer

Default Re: Shear Bolts Online

<font color=blue>Actually I'm still using the original nut that came with the rotary cutter. I keep finding it so I keep using it. </font color=blue>

I jinxed myself with this post. I finally lost the original nut last night. I think it was the first bolt I have broken since posting this.

--Brad

Tractor
    John Deere 4100 HST

bcoleman,

See... that'll teach ya for bragging!! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It happens to all of us. Had my slip clutch slip - but never a shear bolt break. Not bragging, I only have a few hours on my rotary cutter and haven't pushed in to its limits. My time will come.... [img]/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif[/img]

Terry

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Actually, I think what he is refering to is the standard light duty lock nut, which is a regular nut, with a captive nylon bushing held after the nut, that the the thread stock has to thread through. There are also a heavier duty lock nut which has a slight taper or dimple at the rear of the nut to make it grab a bit more.

Soundguy

"I use regular nuts with lock washers (split rings). I dont think you need anything fancy like nylon inserts. Youll just be losing them in the dirt! "

Tractor
    NH TC21D

Brad - From what I have seen, lock nuts are used on shear bolts, because the nuts is not fully torqued down. Remember, the bolt is not working for it's clamping (which is what would hold on a regular nut). It probably depends on the driveline, but I would think that most of the time, this is really not all that important though...

Just a nutty idea but the other day I lost all but my last nut so I wrapped the in place shear bolt with a round of ducktape, when the bolt went I reused the nut. I almost never find em.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12