Shear Bolts Online

/ Shear Bolts Online #11  
<font color=blue>Actually I'm still using the original nut that came with the rotary cutter. I keep finding it so I keep using it. </font color=blue>

I jinxed myself with this post. I finally lost the original nut last night. I think it was the first bolt I have broken since posting this.

--Brad

/ Shear Bolts Online #12  
bcoleman,

See... that'll teach ya for bragging!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

It happens to all of us. Had my slip clutch slip - but never a shear bolt break. Not bragging, I only have a few hours on my rotary cutter and haven't pushed in to its limits. My time will come.... /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Terry

/ Shear Bolts Online #13  
Actually, I think what he is refering to is the standard light duty lock nut, which is a regular nut, with a captive nylon bushing held after the nut, that the the thread stock has to thread through. There are also a heavier duty lock nut which has a slight taper or dimple at the rear of the nut to make it grab a bit more.

Soundguy

"I use regular nuts with lock washers (split rings). I dont think you need anything fancy like nylon inserts. Youll just be losing them in the dirt! "

/ Shear Bolts Online #14  
Brad - From what I have seen, lock nuts are used on shear bolts, because the nuts is not fully torqued down. Remember, the bolt is not working for it's clamping (which is what would hold on a regular nut). It probably depends on the driveline, but I would think that most of the time, this is really not all that important though...

/ Shear Bolts Online #15  
Just a nutty idea but the other day I lost all but my last nut so I wrapped the in place shear bolt with a round of ducktape, when the bolt went I reused the nut. I almost never find em.