Shear Bolts Online

/ Shear Bolts Online #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
Anyone know of a place on the Internet to buy shear bolts?

/ Shear Bolts Online
Which category? I did a search for shear and bolt and got no hits.

/ Shear Bolts Online #4  
Mike,
Shear bolts are often nothing more than common grade 2 bolts you can get them at the hardware store. In some applications manufacturers use hardened grade 5 bolts. Some manufacturers use proprietary shear bolts. Sometime these are nothing more than a grade 2 bolt with shear grooves cut in them. For those you have to go the the manufacturer. When a manufacturer uses proprietary shear bolts You may want to avoid the machine because over the lifetime of the machine the much more expensive parts can add substantially to the cost of operation. If you already own a machine that uses expensive proprietary shear bolts you might want to look at a slip clutch which might save you money in the long run.

Chris

/ Shear Bolts Online #5  
pennwalk is right. I just use grade 2's from my local hardware store and have sheared a whole bunch of them without any damage to the tractor or my post hole digger so I know they work fine.

/ Shear Bolts Online
I went to TSC and got a whole bunch of bolts only to find they didn't have any lock nuts, of any size! So, I had to put all the bolts back. I'll have to stop at the hardware store instead.

/ Shear Bolts Online #7  
MikePA,
At my TSC they don't have them in the same bins that the regular bolts are in, but they are on the same aisle. They are in those awful little bins that have bins in the back and you have to roll one set out of the way to get to the other set. I hate those things. The manager there told me that he hates them too. He said that they just sent him more to put up. Yuck

/ Shear Bolts Online
Jerry,

Thanks for the info! I saw those sliding bins and it never occurred to me they'd have lock nuts hidden in there. The bins that were in the front contained a bunch of little pieces of hardware, e.g., brass screws, cabinet stuff, etc., in plastic bags. I assumed the other bins contained similar items. I will stop back and check them out.

/ Shear Bolts Online #9  
Do most people use lock nuts on their shear bolts? I assume lock nuts are the ones with the nylon inserts? Or is my terminology off? What is the advantage to them?

I've always used standard, plain nuts. Actually I'm still using the original nut that came with the rotary cutter. I keep finding it so I keep using it. But I did buy some extra nuts, just haven't needed them yet.

--Brad

/ Shear Bolts Online #10  
I use regular nuts with lock washers (split rings). I dont think you need anything fancy like nylon inserts. Youll just be losing them in the dirt!