Hating my check chains - locked after box blading

/ Hating my check chains - locked after box blading #1  

Sniggle

Silver Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota B7800 (new to me @ 435 hours
I was doing some box blading today, and after I finished I tried to hook up my rake. Much to my displeasure the check chains (screw type) had locked up on me. I suspect that the pressure from the box blade (roots and stuff) must have caused the check chains to slip a thread.

Has anyone else had this experience with check chains, screw type? Is there a better replacement?

The good to come out of this was that I was forced to install my set of Pat's Easy Change in order to hook up my rake. They worked well.

/ Hating my check chains - locked after box blading #2  
I have never had that problem with my L2800 screw type check chains like that or with my previous B7500. I use my BB on my L2800 on a regular basis too.

/ Hating my check chains - locked after box blading #3  
When adjusting check chains (or turnbuckle type) you must leave some play in them. I found on my tractor as I raise the 3pt. the turnbuckles would tighten up. The free play is not the same for full up and down positions. If I snugged the turnbuckles for no free play in the down position they would be too tight at full up and would bend or even strip the threads when raised. Check yours to see if its the same free play at full up and down positions.

/ Hating my check chains - locked after box blading
George2615 said:
When adjusting check chains (or turnbuckle type) you must leave some play in them. I found on my tractor as I raise the 3pt. the turnbuckles would tighten up. The free play is not the same for full up and down positions. If I snugged the turnbuckles for no free play in the down position they would be too tight at full up and would bend or even strip the threads when raised. Check yours to see if its the same free play at full up and down positions.

That must have been what I did. I did tighten them up in the down position, and had my top link set to bring the box blade up well off the deck. Something broken, something learned I guess.

I have left them alone the last few days as I can still do what I need to using the Pat's Easy Change hitches, but eventuallt I guess I will have to look into replacing them.

/ Hating my check chains - locked after box blading #6  
Keep the threads lubricated. I seriously doubt that they jumped a thread.

/ Hating my check chains - locked after box blading #8  
My 4150 Kubota has the same issue. My 345 Kubota did the same thing as well. They're over $350 each.:mad:

I'm making my own out of chokers and 3/8" chain on one side and a trun buckle binder for binding loads on the other.

/ Hating my check chains - locked after box blading #9  
atgreene said:
My 4150 Kubota has the same issue. My 345 Kubota did the same thing as well. They're over $350 each.:mad:

About $150 for the B7800 with shipping.