older CASE 44 series

/ older CASE 44 series #1  

bucknaked

Hey all, Recently just bought a house with enough yard to require a riding lawnmower. I'm not sure whats wrong with me but all the new garden tractors I see , do nothing for me. These older case units 442,444,446,448 have me staring at them like a deer caught in headlights!! Anyone owned one of these? Any real issues? Can repair parts still be purchased? Can attachments still be purchased? Like blade. blower. tiller etc.
Any info at all would be greatly appreicated.
Thanks Much!

/ older CASE 44 series #2  
I bought a case 446 (I think it's a 1982 model) for a song last year. It is in great shape. Came with a hydraulic 3 point lift, chains, mid deck mower, tiller, single furrow plow, cultivator and snow blower. I only wanted the plow and culivator for my Kubota BX 1800. I planned to flip the rest but have really come to appreciate the 446. These machines do seem to have a cult following and most of the parts are available. The owners are very proud of these machines and they do seem durable and run forever. Just google 'Case 444, 446' or whatever and you'll find talk sites and part suppliers. The biggest problem seems to occur when the Onan 18 HP gas engine goes south. From what I've seen Onan no longer makes an engine to fit the machine. There are alternatives but they can be expensive. The other thing I don't like is they suck up fuel more than diesels. This won't be an issue if you only have a small property to mow. Like I said I planned to sell my 446 but after the winter we had here in Ontario with record snow falls that little tractor equiped with a snow plow kept me laughing when everyone else was crying. Yes my BX is better in many ways (4 wheel drive, diesel more comfortable) but to buy a snow blower for it I would have to spend many times what I paid for the 446 with all the implements so I plan to keep it. It is also a blast from the past to tinker with.

/ older CASE 44 series #3  
I have a 78 Case 446 with a 16 hp Onan. I got it last summer because the JD front blower is around $3K. My neighbor has a Case and that turned me on to them. I have him seen him snowblow and snow was over his hood and it kept on going!!

I have a 48" snowblower and 44" deck for it. I have done quite a bit of work to it, but I bought this for snowblowing and back-up mower. I have been quite happy with it, plus all in all much cheaper than a front JD blower even with the work I have done to it.

The blowers can be picked up on E-bay rather cheap if your handy. I found one near me in descent shape for $75. Most problems with these are the bearings, chain tension and/or chain. An afternoon they can back up and running like a $1500 new one. Yup, Onan parts are kind of hard to find. A Cummins dealer does carry some parts and I was able to find the correct carb for mine. Case chassis parts are still available for these old tractors too.

Personally I think they are a great old garden tractors. They are built well and heavy. Mine bare weighs in at 700ish pounds.

The only downside is like Bota said, comfort. I am 6'2" and I like a clown on it, but heck clowns have fun!!!:D :D

/ older CASE 44 series #4  
I have owned Case/Ingersoll tractors for YEARS!! I love them! I have a 444. a 224, and a 222 right now. Like any older tractor, you will probably need to fix something, but parts are out there, and they CAN be fixed. GREAT tractors!!

/ older CASE 44 series #5  
In my post I said my 446 was equiped with a snow plow I meant snowblower. Like Dan I am 6 foot 2 and must look kinda funny cramped onto that little machine but it is fun.

/ older CASE 44 series #6  
The later tractors, were a few inches longer, and have no fitment problems at all. Im 6"3" and 250ish lb, and I fit on my 87 444 fine.