Help- adjust JD 790 3 point hitch

/ Help- adjust JD 790 3 point hitch #1  

Fast Eddie

Help !!!
I just had to replace the 3 point hitch adjustment fork screw on the right side of my beloved JD 790 (bent by the previous owner). I installed a new one and it seems to be too long because the right side of the 3 point hitch is lower than the left side (see picture). I can't raise the right side by the adjustment screw because it is all the way up as far as it will go, into the black adjustable lift link.

Any ideas before I go back to the dealer?

I tried to attach a picture (which is worth 1000 words) but it it doesn't work, will try again.

Fast as ever-
Eddie

Attachments

• pto.jpg
    pto.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 4,609
   / Help- adjust JD 790 3 point hitch #2  
My first guess is it's too long but you might take it off and "center" the adjustment barrel so the same amount of thread are showing both top and bottom. That might allow for more adjustment.

Good luck, aren't these 790s great machines!

/ Help- adjust JD 790 3 point hitch #3  
Hiya,

Always check your serial # against the latest parts list on line. A lot of times Deere makes minor changes and denotes these with serial # ranges.

Here's what I saw on the 790 links:
Up to SN 470331 lower yoke is part # AM876860
SN 470332 and later lower yoke part# LVA800172

Hope that helps,
Tom

/ Help- adjust JD 790 3 point hitch
tomd999 said:
Hiya,

Always check your serial # against the latest parts list on line. A lot of times Deere makes minor changes and denotes these with serial # ranges.

Here's what I saw on the 790 links:
Up to SN 470331 lower yoke is part # AM876860
SN 470332 and later lower yoke part# LVA800172

Hope that helps,
Tom

Tom,
Great point. I did provide the dealer my S/N, but I'm not sure that they used it. I'll check with them tomorrow.
Eddie

/ Help- adjust JD 790 3 point hitch #5  
I'm with Rob. Looks like you need to disassemble and get the center adjusted properly. As far as the correct part, you have the old one. Might want to check it against the new piece. I have a 790 also and I'm with you guys on a great machine.

/ Help- adjust JD 790 3 point hitch
Just came from the JD dealer and after a mechanic looked at it, he decided that the turnbuckle (black part in my picture) is also slightly bent. So I had to order another one ($ 99). I only recently bought the 790 and this was bent when I got it.

Thanks all - really appreciate your comments. This Forum is really great.

E.

/ Help- adjust JD 790 3 point hitch #7  
It looks like there is alot of adjustment left with that much thread showing.