Kubota B2400 Broken 3point block

/ Kubota B2400 Broken 3point block #1  

BG_WA_B2400

Hi this is my first post on the forum. I am a new (used) B2400 owner with a major problem (see photo). I bought mine used 5 weeks ago and just noticed that one part (where the top left bolt would go) of the "top block" of the 3-point is sheared off. The previous owner (who didn't disclose the defect) welded a bar to keep the plates from spreading, which just broke also. My question is should I get it welded again, replace the whole cast iron block or sue the landscaper who sold me the tractor. My local Kubota Dealer wants $387 for the part and 6-7 hours of labor for a total repair job of around $900. Any advice is much appreciated. If the photos don't show up e-mail me and I will send them direct.

Attachments

• 48-131414-3pt_closeup.jpg
    48-131414-3pt_closeup.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,282
   / Kubota B2400 Broken 3point block #2  
Is the cast iron part which the bracket bolts to actually damaged or is there just a bolt or two sheared off? It shouldn't be to much trouble to remove the broken bolts. If the holes are stripped you could drill and tap to an SAE oversize and enlarge the holes on the bracket a little. From your photo it is hard to see the actual damage.

/ Kubota B2400 Broken 3point block #3  
If it was I..I would find a good machine shop and let them drill and tap plus fix the weld,for you now know what the cost would be to replacement..and true..fix it right the first time if you have the extra money.

/ Kubota B2400 Broken 3point block #4  
I think this is easy to fix. Buy a reinforced top link bracket (~$70) (search for that topic and you will find a parts list), and install it. It will distribute the 3PH load to the top of the case and the ROPS frame below the current bracket, in addition to the current 4, or in your case 3, mounting bolts. Even with one of the four existing bolts missing I think the new arrangement will be stronger than your's was originally before the damage.

As others have suggested, go another step and determine whether the damaged bolt broke off and left a stub in the hole, in which case you should be able to extract it and put in a new bolt, or explore over drilling and retapping with a larger bolt. Personally, I would NOT drill and retap unless I planned on very heavy 3PH use like a backhoe - I think the risk of further damage is very real, and I think the reinforced top link bracket will be stronger even without the 4th bolt than the original bracket was with the 4th bolt.

Good lunk, and I think you can get out of this one easily.

/ Kubota B2400 Broken 3point block #5  
It looks like there are also some "non-original" welds in the area below the 3point plock (circled in the attached picture). If that's true, maybe there's more going on than just that sheared bolt (?)...

/ Kubota B2400 Broken 3point block #6  
To shear that bolt there had to have a heavy duty load on that bracket. with that top bolt missing it is putting a twisting load on the bracket and that's probably why the weld job broke again. as mentioned above, a new bracket and bolt would be in order. As far as bringing the contractor to court, unless your State has specific laws governing sale of used equipment or the seller offered a warranty, it would appear that you bought the tractor as is.

/ Kubota B2400 Broken 3point block #7  
Here's the picture...

Attachments

• 48-131669-closeup.jpg
    48-131669-closeup.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 734
   / Kubota B2400 Broken 3point block #8  
I would purchase a heavy duty top link bracket from Kubota. The p/n for the B2400 is: 70050-00540. You'll also have to purchase the correct bolts for this conversion. I have attached a sheet (posted here before) which outlines the reinforced top link brackets for several Kubota models with part numbers. In my next post, I will attach a pic of an installed reinforced top link bracket so you get the idea (although it is not a B2400).

Attachments

• 48-131719-HDtoplinkpartnumbers.gif
    48-131719-HDtoplinkpartnumbers.gif
    122 KB · Views: 1,323
   / Kubota B2400 Broken 3point block #9  
here's the installed bracket on a 'Bota. After looking closer at your pic and the pic here, I think this may actually be a B2400 after all.

Attachments

• 48-131725-HD-FromTop.jpg
    48-131725-HD-FromTop.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 631
   / Kubota B2400 Broken 3point block #10  
BG
Here is the post that Peter did on part #’s for the Top Link Brackets. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=owning&Number=107936&fpart=1>Click Here</A>.
There is also a lot of information if you do a search for ”Top Link Bracket”.