Welding 101

/ Welding 101 #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
I know this is like lighting a match in a gasoline factory but I just can't help but ask... When exactly does one "become" a welder?

BTW: I am learning to weld (the hard way).

/ Welding 101 #2  
Some would say when you are certified...

/ Welding 101 #3  
When you are certified--but more broadly, when you are paid to be so. I escape the problem by saying that I am NOT a welder, but I can weld.:rolleyes:

Mike

/ Welding 101 #4  
In my opinion your a welder, when you can be confident, (not hopeful), your welding job will not fail. Experience is they only avenue to this level.

I have worked with people who were paid to weld, whom were not welders. (see above).

Even being certified, does not guarantee a welder. Junior welders can sometimes pass the test, but, fail in the field. It is not that unusual to see people sent home from field welding jobs, who passed the test.

/ Welding 101 #5  
3 good answers... certification, being paind for it, AND doing a good job of it.

that said.. I OWN a welder.. ;)

soundguy

/ Welding 101 #6  
Soundguy said:
I OWN a welder.. ;)

soundguy
I own 2! I am most definitely not a welder! If you saw anything I stuck together, you'd agree!
I've looked for some night course, to learn but, haven't seen one in my area.

/ Welding 101 #7  
I actually own a little 30/70A CH stick welder.. ( good for sheet metal.. uses 1/16 and 5/64 rods )... I also own a hobart stickmate xl235AC.. big beefy AC welder.

My welds aren't real pretty.. but they hold together..

soundguy

/ Welding 101 #8  
Seems to me there are many certifications. I grew up around welders mostly boiler welding in power plants. Certifications vary depending on what you are doing. I would agree a welder is a person who can pass the certification for their particular trade. Most of the welders I know can pick up TIG, MIG, Stick, or torch in any position (pipe too) on most materials and make it look easy. If you were to have the weld tested it would pass, period. That to me is a welder. If I want to play I use one of my two welding machines. If I want something done right I take it to someone who welds every day or is retired from welding every day.

/ Welding 101 #9  
I read alot for my personal endeavors at home. I think I have learned alot and there is still alot to learn. I read books, Miller's Lincoln's and weldingweb.com and listen to exp. welder's when they give advice. I think to become a good weldor is to get your hands on as much information as you can.

I have been welding implements lately. I figured at real low speeds and given the load and they break really no harm no foul! I think if you can weld implements up, use them and they don't break. You are on a good start.

I build custom doors from aluminum at work. I weld some on doors and sometimes equipment at work. I am not cert. weldor, but then again my work would not pay a cert. welder's pay! Ironically I took a welding 101 class for myself, but got thrusted into welding at work.

If you think at you can't teach yourself think of this. I started airbrushing in 91 RC car bodies. I really had no info on what I was doing, besides just doing it. 96 I won 1st and 2nd at a national event for airbrushing. A few years later I took a formal class an the instructor was amazed that I used the type airbrush and was able to do the paint jobs. Just remember...............................................

You Can Do It!!!!!:D

/ Welding 101 #10  
My definition?

When you're confident enough to do your own work and when people start asking you (paid or not) to weld stuff. Other descriptors such as "experienced" or "certified" or "professional" may not necessarily apply. (they don't in my case)

-Steve