Gas or Electric Pressure Washer?

/ Gas or Electric Pressure Washer? #1  

derekuk101

Bronze Member
Tractor
M5-111, M8540, M4900, Ford 3600
I'm looking for a new pressure washer to clean tractors and attachments. I don't plan on ever using it to clean siding or paint off of barns. I had a Craftsman 6.5HP Briggs and Stratton and it only lasted 2 years and now the pump is bad.

Do the electric washers hold up longer than the gas ones?

Would a Karcher 1800 PSI Electric Pressure Washer ($150) be enough to clean tractors after a muddy winter feeding hay?

I also like the Karcher 2800 PSI Pressure Washer w/ Honda Engine & Degreaser Tabs but with the ($500) price tag, I would hope that it would last longer than two years.

Any suggestions?

/ Gas or Electric Pressure Washer? #2  
i personally like the gas units. i had a fe electric and they did not last long. i now have a craftsman that i have had for about 5 years, now granted i only use it about 5 hours a year but i like not dealing with cord.

/ Gas or Electric Pressure Washer? #3  
I have one of each, but only because the electric one was cheap but wimpy.

I still use it every once in a while if I don't want exhaust fumes, but the gas is just so much more powerful.

Briggs & Stratton is no longer a very good engine. Honda seems to last a lot better and the same for Robin/Subaru.

/ Gas or Electric Pressure Washer? #4  
I have had a "Handy" electric power washer for 16 years. Last summer I had to replace the control valve. It was the first repair ever. The new valve was in my mail box two days after I ordered it. I don't know if this is true but the guy on the phone told me it was the only electric one made in the U.S.

/ Gas or Electric Pressure Washer? #5  
derekuk101 said:
I'm looking for a new pressure washer to clean tractors and attachments. I don't plan on ever using it to clean siding or paint off of barns. I had a Craftsman 6.5HP Briggs and Stratton and it only lasted 2 years and now the pump is bad.

Do the electric washers hold up longer than the gas ones?

Would a Karcher 1800 PSI Electric Pressure Washer ($150) be enough to clean tractors after a muddy winter feeding hay?

I also like the Karcher 2800 PSI Pressure Washer w/ Honda Engine & Degreaser Tabs but with the ($500) price tag, I would hope that it would last longer than two years.

Any suggestions?

A friend who has a business using pressure washers seems to think the GPM is very important. He advises it is hard to clean something with a little water, but very easy to clean with a lot of water. That said the smallest GPM he has is 3. He is not too concerned about high PSI pressure unless he is stripping paint. He also advises to insure good pump life always provide water to the pump very quickly after starting the motor. Now my opinion on cleaning a muddy tractor with a electric pressure washer. Can be done but how many hours would it take.

/ Gas or Electric Pressure Washer? #6  
Hours?? you must be kidding..

I have a karcher.. it is 3ys old now. Had to make a small adjustment to a plastic part a few weeks ago.. but works fine... It is 1500 psi.. and will strip paint if you get the wand in close.

Cleans a tractgor as short work. Cleans driveways and vinyl siding too. Just got to have electric and water.. vs just water for a gasser..

light and easy to carry around.. the small units use a self contained pump/motor that is a hair smaller than a 2l soda and then housed inside that yellow plastic shell. Same motor unit goes in all of small 1400/1500 psi electric karcher units made in the past couple years.. some are upright with wheels.. some are a small pack with a handle.. both work the same.. big difference is a right angle pressure outlet on the upright one, vs a straight one on the small 'pack' unit.. plus some do and don't have the low pressure detergent suction line..

soundguy

/ Gas or Electric Pressure Washer? #7  
I have had two electric ones and they both crapped out in a couple years. I bought a gas Troy-Bilt 3 years ago and it has been great. With the difference in volume and pressure (and thus speed) I would never go back to electric.

Why don't you just get a new pump?

/ Gas or Electric Pressure Washer? #8  
I have a 110v Stihl electric that has survived all kinds of abuse (including letting it sit outside during the winter freeze up).

I really don't want that much pressure, 'cause I want to leave the paint on the equipment. I use it to spray trees, too and to cool off the horses with it as well by shooting a stream about 50 ft towards them.

I just didn't want to deal with another gas motor. Besides, you need the water supply nearby. Once filled the loader bucket up with water, the PTO alternator on the back and went out back to operate it.

/ Gas or Electric Pressure Washer? #9  
We all have our bias's based on our experience. I have an older electric I like and it's never failed me. Nothing fancy like with todays' models but also suspect it is built a lot more beefier than todays models.

Need to have power and water hose close by. As has been mentioned before, water volume is as important as pressure, maybe more so. My washer has a pressure relief valve set to 500 PSI if I remember correctly but pumps 3 gpm. Pump is also set up to pick up consentrated cleaning solution and mixes with the water on the fly.

Brought this yrs ago when I had a small haying business and it kept the equipment clean and I didn't have to worry about peeling the paint off everything. BIL did strip the decal pin strips off his car with it though.

IMO qlty or junk can be had in either power source.

/ Gas or Electric Pressure Washer? #10  
I have a Husky 1700 psi power washer I bought from home depot about three years ago and it works awesome for what I use it for. Based on what you are telling us, you will be using it to clean your machine and implements, this is exactly what I use mine for and it never let me down. If I were you, go with an electric unit.

Gas engines like to run and need to be maintained. Good if your planning on using a lot.

I figure if I get 10 years out of it I'll be happy. My dad has a Kacher that is 15 years old (electric) and it works fine. If my electric washer breaks, I am planning on throwing in the garbage and getting another.