Electrical Problem - Help!

/ Electrical Problem - Help! #1  

TonyC

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 1997 L3600DT 4WD with FEL
I seem to have an electrical problem on my Kubota L3600DT. The last time I used the tractor I noticed that my radio suddenly lost power and didn't come back on. This afternoon it worked when I first started using the tractor but then it died again. I figured a connection had come loose somewhere. But to my surprise, when I cut the key off the tractor kept running. I had to use the kill switch to cut it off. I'm inclined to assume the radio problem and ignition problem are related. Bad ignition switch perhaps? Any ideas?

/ Electrical Problem - Help! #2  
Tony, check the stop solenoid fuse, wiggle it around in the holder and see if your radio comes on intermittent. Those fuse holder terminals tend to break and cause poor contact. I'm pretty sure that's the first fuse up from the bottom in the box. Do you have the factory cab, an add on aftermarket cab,
or just a radio? If it's an add on radio/cab trace the radio power wire back to it's power source, could be they tapped into the stop solenoid feed power and there is a problem with the connection.

/ Electrical Problem - Help!
Thanks for the quick response kubmech.

Here's what I found:

The previous owner installed work lights with a push-pull switch mounted on the fender. They are wired to fuse position 1 which is the factory spot for worklights according to the manual. The radio is wired into the hot side of the push-pull switch. Strange thing is the work lights work even when the radio doesn't.

Wou were correct about the fuse position on the key stop. Before this I've only had older tractors so I never knew key stop solenoids even existed. I pulled the fuse box and wiggled the wires and the fuses but nothing happened. Then when I was looking at the manual the radio came on by itself. Five minutes later it went off on it's own. Twenty minutes later I went to drive it to the shed and the radio came on again. This time it stayed on (at least for now).

Based on all of this it would seem that the radio and the key stop problems are not related although it would seem like quite a coincindence. Anyway at no time did the key stop work. I attached a picture of the wiring for what it's worth. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 48-132435-wiring.jpg
    48-132435-wiring.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 161
   / Electrical Problem - Help! #4  
From what you just explained; The radio problem sounds like a bad connention from the push pull switch to the radio. Wiggle the wires till you get to the radio. Don't forget the ground (could also be in the radio itself). The fuel solenoid has a couple of possibilities. Did you check the fuse? The solenoid may have failed, that's located on the right side of the engine at the linkage to the injection pump. If you have a test light, hook up to the single lead to the solenoid, turn key on then off. If you get a light for aprrox 6 seconds then it goes out, it's the solenoid. If you have no power there. It may be the timer relay which should be located at the firewall just above the engine, probably on the right side. (the one with the clear rubber wrapped around it with blue writng) If I remember right on that model. Some models have the timer relay under the dash.

Yes I checked all of the fuses. The radio appears to be grounded to it's own mounting bracket. I'll try the other tests tomorrow in the daylight. Hopefully I can find those components okay! I'll let you know what I find.

I appreciate your help!

/ Electrical Problem - Help! #6  
Good luck to you Tony, I wont get to see how you made out till sunday. See you later.

Well I went out with my trusty test light and a printout of your instructions in my hand. I started the tractor and the radio came on but no key stop. I fiddled and poked to determine where the solenoid was, tracing wires etc. I didn't do much but before I even put the test light on it, I started the tractor again to see what went on under the hood when I started it up. Well the key stop worked! Sure sounds like a connection problem. I guess I'll know more after I put some seat time in. It was raining yesterday but I will be using it today. We'll see how long the "fix" lasts. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!