Broken Zerk!

/ Broken Zerk! #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
A zerk snapped off level with the hole. Nothing above the edge of the hole for me to grab and back it out. What should I do?

Bob

/ Broken Zerk! #3  
Stick a file handle into the hole and turn it out. Pick the right sized file and you may have to trim off some of the tail. A file end is square so punch it in there and back it out.

/ Broken Zerk! #5  
   / Broken Zerk! #6  
Yep.. ditto.. I have a metric and an sae one. they remove broken threaded zerks just fine.. and can chase the hole. then install a new one. TSC sells them.

soundguy

/ Broken Zerk! #7  
the meat of the tool looks like a bolt extractor. I've had a Craftsman box set for some time-5-6 different sizes. Just yesterday the bleed valve broke off a caliper (truck)-tried my best to drill it out and extract the fitting with no luck.

/ Broken Zerk! #8  
EZ out

They usually come out pretty nice.

jb

/ Broken Zerk! #9  
that 'lumax pitcher' is loading way slow (dialup)....so i'll just tell ya my experience, and you can use whatever works...

i have a set of hanson screw removers (backouts, whatever you want to call them). you drill an appropriate sized hole, and tap in the remover. turn counterclockwise to remove. used one the other day to take a cheapie broken off zerk off my gate fitting....

these things, kroil and thread restorers (chasers) ahve saved my bacon many a time on various screws in various things...worth the money to have around.
rebb

/ Broken Zerk! #10  
JerryG said:
Get you a tool like in the below link. I have used them for years and they work good on most zerk problems. They are available in most stores that sell zerks.
Amazon.com: Lumax Four-Way Grease Fitting Tool, Small: Home Improvement

I have the same thing that I bought from Tractor Supply. Depending on the break, you can ususally just unscrew them with the tool. A few times I've had to drill a small hole to fit the easy out into the hole, but that's not normal. You can also just buy a set of easy outs from just about any auto parts store that will get it out fairly easily.

Don't drill a hole in the broken zirk fitting if you don't have to. You risk damaging the threads, which would be bad. :D If you buy the kit, make sure it has the smaller sizes so that you can get it into the hole a few turns. This will allow it to grab it real solid.

Eddie