what's the best mechanic's creeper?

/ what's the best mechanic's creeper? #1  

rebb

Tractor
BX2350
this aint strickly tractor related; i get my fat gut stuck under the truck when i'm greasing the zerks, and i'm fed up with the el cheapo creeper i got....anyone got a real good one they like? i think griot's has got some nice 'dogbone' style, with the 'inset' wheels, and the bed laying down below the cg....but i don't want to spend 100 bucks on a creeper, either...mine will flop on it's side or fly out form under me when i'm trying to get my old stiff heinie off it....

appreciate any opinions...haven't checked the harbor freight site, but it maybe a good place to look

thanks...
rebb

/ what's the best mechanic's creeper? #2  
Cheap and quality are not synonymous. Count on paying $100 or a little more for any quality creeper.

I have a Mac 6 wheel. Works great on CLEAN hard floors.Its been real tough.

Once I've worn this one out I'll likely be buying a Bone creeper. They work pretty good on floors that are a little less than clean. The hard plastic of the bone is good if your welding and is actually quite comfortable. Foam padding doesn't like hot welding sparks.:eek:

Another one worth looking at are the pneumatic tired ones by SnapOn or Mac. Good if your on rough ground or outside, but there a lot more $$$$.

/ what's the best mechanic's creeper? #3  
rebb said:
i think griot's has got some nice 'dogbone' style, with the 'inset' wheels, and the bed laying down below the cg....but i don't want to spend 100 bucks on a creeper, either...mine will flop on it's side or fly out form under me when i'm trying to get my old stiff heinie off it....
rebb

My cheap craftsman creeper wouldn't roll if the floor was dirty, and would fly out from under me when trying get off.
I've been using "The Bone" creeper for the past two years and it is great. Rolls easy, sit nice and low and is very stable.
It was given to me, but after using it, I'd gladly pay the $120 bucks or so if I had to buy one.

Vic

/ what's the best mechanic's creeper?
Thanks, guys! the bone sounds like it would work for me...anything that might catch fire when doing welds would be a mistake. if at all possible, i weld on the shop floor. if i have to do something like that outside, i take a piece of sheet metal to lay under me (keeps the grass fires down, you can slide a little on it, but sometimes it'll make ya do a lil dance!).

sounds like good advice....going looking for a 'bone' :)
rebb

/ what's the best mechanic's creeper? #5  
My $20.00 Wally World creeper has done fine by me for 7 years. I did have a Snap-on creeper at one time that worked fine also till I left it at a place I worked at in 1990.
I have not tried the Bone creeper but they have been around for many years so they obviously are pretty good.

/ what's the best mechanic's creeper? #6  
I bought a NAPA 14-903 creeper about over 20 years ago and it still works fine. I bought that one because it is longer than a regular creeper (42 1/2"). The longer creepers are great for us taller guys. I always had a problem with the shorter creepers when I sat up the creeper would also come up due to wheel placement.

/ what's the best mechanic's creeper? #7  
I use a piece of carpet and a work jumpsuit. :)

/ what's the best mechanic's creeper?
i used that carpet and wiggle method for al ong time, too. sometimes, i use the 'flattened, saved cardboard box and wiggle method' too. as i got older, i found that some of the wiggling i had to do would cramp my right leg (back trouble), and then i'd have to wiggle dang quick out from under in order to stand up before the muscle froze in place....if it freezes, it aches for several days...gay ben dont' hep it at all....capcaicin burns so bad, it'll make ya forget yer leg was wherer you started to hurt, though...can't drink ezra no more, but a pint of ezra would help....

i ordered one of those dog bone creepers....i had a bad case of sticker shock, but it has become completely apparent to me after almost 45 years of using tools, a good tool is rarely cheap (although there are some exceptions). depending, sometimes, a good tool will save your life....and i really can't stand it when the leg muscle gets locked up before i can get my head out of the exhaust system...(literally-pun alert!)

tractor gets delivered tomorrow...i am in hock up to my ears! lol! i joined the rest of the world.....

appreciate all the good advice. you folks rock!
rebb

/ what's the best mechanic's creeper? #9  
I use and abuse the Lisle low profile creeper. Rolls good on the shop floor, and is almost indestructable. We have a couple that are used by people who don't own them, which is the way to see how well something holds up.

/ what's the best mechanic's creeper? #10  
I agree with the "Bone" creeper being the best bang for the buck. Love mine.