English versus metric?

/ English versus metric? #1  

stmiller2

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TN55
In anticipation of increasing my implement holdings, I plan to acquire a 3/4" socket set for maintenance and repairs. Should I focus more on metric or English socket sizes (i.e., have US ag. implement manufacturers gone metric)?

/ English versus metric? #2  
<font color=blue>...Should I focus more on metric or English socket sizes ...</font color=blue>

I find the bulk of the implements on the larger fasteners use SAE... the smaller fasteners are mixed and you can get by with a 3/8" or 1/2" Craftsmen's set for the smaller stuff (both metric & sae... (probably 99.9% of all older US farm implements are SAE...the nice stuff you see at the auctions.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif)

The 3/4" Taiwan sets are generally under $50. and the quality has vastly improved the past few years... not a Snap-on or Mac... but you're not paying their price either... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ English versus metric? #4  
Keep in mind that tractors such as John deere, and new holland have their engines made by yanmar and shibarua respectively. They are probably mixed with sae and metric combos.

Soundguy

/ English versus metric? #5  
Just came from SEARS and they have a number of mixed sets on sale right now or small sets of each type and are very cheap. JMIII is correct they are not the best quality but will get you by for most of the small jobs.
PJ

/ English versus metric? #6  
<font color=blue>...JMIII is correct they are not the best quality ...</font color=blue>

Paul, I was mainly referring to the Taiwanese quality becoming "better" the past few years and what little I use the 3/4" stuff... if I turned wrenches for a living or used these on a daily basis, then Snap-on or perhaps Craftsman would be my choice...

Actually most of my hand tools are Craftsman and I think are very good quality and lots of bang for the buck... I'm guessing maybe 75% Craftsman, 20% would be Snap-on, and the reminder big 3/4" stuff Taiwan... (I do have some 3/4" Craftsman sockets I needed like yesterday that can go $15-18. socket... but still cheaper than Snap-on.../w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif)

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ English versus metric? #7  
Excellent point, SEARS also carries a brand called Champion which is below the craftsman line. I also checked out the clearance area and they had 4 to 5 sets of sockets reduced because of missing items.
PJ