Tractor
    NH TN55

Default English versus metric?

In anticipation of increasing my implement holdings, I plan to acquire a 3/4" socket set for maintenance and repairs. Should I focus more on metric or English socket sizes (i.e., have US ag. implement manufacturers gone metric)?

Default Re: English versus metric?

<font color=blue>...Should I focus more on metric or English socket sizes ...</font color=blue>

I find the bulk of the implements on the larger fasteners use SAE... the smaller fasteners are mixed and you can get by with a 3/8" or 1/2" Craftsmen's set for the smaller stuff (both metric &amp; sae... (probably 99.9% of all older US farm implements are SAE...the nice stuff you see at the auctions...[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img])

The 3/4" Taiwan sets are generally under $50. and the quality has vastly improved the past few years... not a Snap-on or Mac... but you're not paying their price either... [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tractor
    NH TN55

John,

Thanks for the good info. Is there a particular "off-brand" from Taiwan that I should look for?

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Keep in mind that tractors such as John deere, and new holland have their engines made by yanmar and shibarua respectively. They are probably mixed with sae and metric combos.

Soundguy

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PowerTrac 425 (September 2003)

Just came from SEARS and they have a number of mixed sets on sale right now or small sets of each type and are very cheap. JMIII is correct they are not the best quality but will get you by for most of the small jobs.
    PJ

<font color=blue>...JMIII is correct they are not the best quality ...</font color=blue>

Paul, I was mainly referring to the Taiwanese quality becoming "better" the past few years and what little I use the 3/4" stuff... if I turned wrenches for a living or used these on a daily basis, then Snap-on or perhaps Craftsman would be my choice...

Actually most of my hand tools are Craftsman and I think are very good quality and lots of bang for the buck... I'm guessing maybe 75% Craftsman, 20% would be Snap-on, and the reminder big 3/4" stuff Taiwan... (I do have some 3/4" Craftsman sockets I needed like yesterday that can go $15-18. socket... but still cheaper than Snap-on...[img]/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif[/img])

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PowerTrac 425 (September 2003)

Excellent point, SEARS also carries a brand called Champion which is below the craftsman line. I also checked out the clearance area and they had 4 to 5 sets of sockets reduced because of missing items.
    PJ