Diesel in the Crank Case on Massey 135

/ Diesel in the Crank Case on Massey 135 #1  

Left Coast Chris

Hello, I have a Massey Furgeson 135 with the 3 cylinder Perkins Diesel and am having Diesel in the Crank Case.

I ordered a new lift pump ($37) and will be replacing that as a start. I am assuming the diaphragm may be broken as a source for the diesel in the crank.

Any advise on replacing the lift pump? Is there any trick to not having the diesel tank drain when I disconnect the pump from the lines? Can I pump the manual lever to get the air out of the lines after I connect the lines to the new pump?

--thanks--

/ Diesel in the Crank Case on Massey 135 #2  
There should be a fuel shut-off petcock on the fuel tank itself. Shut that BEFORE unhooking the lift pump.

Once you've re-installed the new pump, open the bleed screw on the fuel filter(s). Allow as much air to escape as possible, THEN manually feed fuel via the prime lever on the lift pump. tighten the bleed screw.

Next, crack open the BOTTOM bleed screw on the injector pump. Manually feed fuel (again) via the prime lever. Once you have a steady flow out of the bottom screw, tighten it and open the UPPER bleed screw (on the injector pump) Manually feed fuel (AGAIN) via the prime lever. Once you get a steady, solid flow of fuel, tighten that bleed screw.

Then ATTEMPT to start. If it doesn't start, or starts and dies, loosen the flair nut holding the injector line to the rearmost fuel injector and crank the starter until you get a good flow of fuel and/or she starts. As soon as it fires, tighten that flair nut.

Any troubles, repeat entire proceedure. I've had 'em to start right up and I've had to bleed the system 1/2 dozen times.

MAKE CERTAIN YOU RE-OPEN THE FUEL SHUT OFF AFTER INSTALLING THE NEW PUMP. They won't run with the fuel left shut off. Don't ask me how I know that. ;)

/ Diesel in the Crank Case on Massey 135
Thanks for the guidance. I was afraid I would have to bleed the system but from your instructions........ not a big deal. I have my fingers crossed the diesel leak into the crank case is not the injector pump.

The whole incident of discovering the diesel in the crank case was very strange and coincidental. I frequently check the oil but the oil plug had some partially striped threads with a slow oil leak. Over about 6 months the leak increased until I pulled the plug to change the oil and put in a new plug. To my supprise, the crank was full of almost pure diesel. Appearently the leak out of the crank case was slightly faster than the diesel leak into the tank so it could exchange the oil for diesel over time. A bad combination. We have only 10 acres so over the last 6 months I probably ran it 10 to 20 hours on almost pure diesel as oil.

Im hoping the engine is not damaged. It still runs and sounds fine.

--Chris--