Head gasket repair

/ Head gasket repair #21  
It's very likey you can tap those holes out for the next larger size ( what I would do ).. or at least heli-coil them.

stripped casting threads are not a death sentence automatically. I've seen oversized and heli-coiled head bolts and such on engines that have run decades on the repair..

soundguy

/ Head gasket repair #23  
Egon said:
Or run it out and get a new tractor!:D :D :D
Well yes, that's my favorite idea, but my CFO doesn't agree.:( So maybe I'll go with Soundguy's idea to tap the next size up.

/ Head gasket repair #24  
Check to see if you have the clearance in the casting.. but generally on a bellhousing flange there is enought meat to tap up, or helicoil.. sometines you can just drill thru and use a longer bolt with a nut, bepending on how the casting is made. Remember if you oversize the threaded hole you will also have to oversize the hole in the mated housing to allow the larger bolt thru.. etc.

soundguy

/ Head gasket repair #25  
mike do you have a pic of the torque specs and proper torque sequence on the 1310 .thanks
brianMO,

I did one (head gasket) on my 1310 and it was not a bad job at all. Be sure to have a manual on hand so you can follow the proper torque sequence when re-installing. I'd say it's better than hoping an additive will stop the leak. I also lapped the valves and replaced the valve seals at the same time.
Of course with mine I discovered someone had repaired a hole in the block with JB Weld or something similar right after I got everything back together. The hole was behind the starter motor and I found it when it started to leak coolant. I redid the repair (with JB Weld) and it still was seeping so at that point I used some radiator stop leak. Has been holding and working well for two years.:)
Unfortunately now the clutch has failed. The good news is the price of scrap is the highest it has ever been.:rolleyes: