How do I remove this bearing?

/ How do I remove this bearing? #1  

PBinWA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX55, Mahindra 2615, Case 36CXB, Case W4, Volvo MC85C
I have a Befco flail mower and the grease zerk needs to be re-tapped on the rear roller bearing.

I took the roller off and wanted to dismantle the bearing assembly so I could drill it and re-tap it.

I don't see an obvious way to remove the bearing from the roller. The parts manual for the flail mower shows the bearing assembly as an entire unit.

It kind of looks like I could pull it off with a gear puller but I thought I'd check with the experts here first.

Pictures attached.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 273
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 218
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 218
   / How do I remove this bearing? #2  
PBinWA

Do you have abearing puller?

actually a bearing seperator would do best

that type of bearing after shaft is out rotate outer bearing tward flat end and there is 2 groves in there to let bearing assy pop out retap casting flush it out and reassemble.

tommu56

/ How do I remove this bearing? #3  
PBinWA

here marked up picture with notes

tommu56

Attachments

• bearing mark up.jpg
    bearing mark up.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 413
   / How do I remove this bearing? #4  
It looks like a standard ball bearing that is locked on the shaft with a collar. If so, there should be a set screw on that collar, which needs to be removed or loosened, and then the collar needs to be turned to unlock it from the shaft. Use a punch for this, and if one direction doesn't work, try the other because they will lock in either direction. After you get the collar off, then you will need to polish the shaft and put penatrating lube on it, and maybe some heat, but with a gear puller, the whole assembly should slide off the shaft. THen you can tilt the bearing as shown to remove it from the housing.

/ How do I remove this bearing? #5  
tommu56 has given you the correct advice. I am no expert because I usually give up and cut the bearing off with an oxy-acetylene torch.

That appears to be about a 1" shaft. In my experience the rust between the shaft and bearing quickly freezes the parts together very tightly for three reasons: one, there is very little clearance, so not much rust is needed to jam the parts; two, neither surface is painted (the black oxide or black phosphate coat that might be on a quality bearing is not much protection); and three, on a mower the shaft frequently gets wet from rain or dew or even the moisture in the grass blades.

It appears that the roller has a sleeve welded onto the end and a short shaft has been inserted into the sleeve and fixed with a pin. The shaft then sticks out enough to pass through the bearing. If the bearing is pushed up close to the sleeve, you may have trouble getting a bearing separator between the sleeve and the inner race of the bearing. If you can't get the separator into that position, all the force will be against the bearing housing and, since it is cast iron, it will probably break. Even if it does not break, the side force on the bearing will probably shorten its life considerably, and it would be wise to replace it.

I have also found that there are only two classes of mounted ball bearings, like your two-bolt flange: Cheap (under $10.00) and Good ($30.00 -50.00). I replace several 1" pillow blocks each year. After paying McMaster Carr $35 apiece for four new ones a year ago, I decided this year to try the $7 ones from Surplus Center. Of the four new ones I ordered, one was almost too rough to turn when I got it (I think the balls may have been square), and two of the remaining three lasted less than one month.

So, I would try to pull the old bearing off with a separator like tommu56 said, if you can get one in place. If you can't get it into position, or if the bearing just will not move after one or more good soakings with PB Blaster, application of the separator, and several good licks on the end of the shaft with a brass punch, give up and cut the old one off. If you do not have access to an OA torch, an angle grinder (4 1/2" with a 1/16 or 1/8" cutoff blade) works pretty well. Cut through one side of flange and a few raps with a hammer should break it. Then do the same with the outer race. When you get to the inner race, be careful not to cut into the shaft (although a small nick is not likely to weaken it enough to matter). I usually make a groove parallel to the shaft that doesn't quite reach down to the shaft surface. Then strike a cold chisel into the groove. The bevel of the chisel will usually split the inner race the rest of the way.

Good luck.

/ How do I remove this bearing?
Thanks everyone! Especially Tommu! I've got something to work with now!

;)

/ How do I remove this bearing? #7  
remove the set collar. use a puller, or weld a fork on the end of a pipe about 5 feet long. that will pry most bearings off in about two seconds. if all else fails hit the housing with a big hammer hard. the cast iron will break easily then hit the bearing it will break then heat the part that is stuck to the shaft with a torch or lay a bead on it with a welder that will heat it nicely it wii expand and come off. use neversieze on the shaft next time