Drill Press advice appreciated

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #21  
Eddie,

The slower it goes, the better.

The heavier it is, generally translates into being more stable.

Use clamps, vices etc. etc. they can flat out tear you up if the piece gets away from you.

I use a foot switch on mine. That in conjunction with the side switch make it safer. (surplus center I think for my foot switch)

If I had to buy another today, it would be the $400 ish one from HF (biggest) but Grizzly is almost always a good value, and Great if you have problems, they make it right.

The mid size cheapie chinese one is what I have now, and for the $150 or so I spent on it, it was well worth the money. 3 pulleys on top for speed reduction.

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #22  
I've got a harbor freight cheapie. It has terrible runout and no easy way to fix that, but it has a lot of speeds and a plenty strong motor. I've slipped the belts but never stalled the motor. Get one with the lowest speed you can, don't worry about high speeds. Biggest thing I can offer is to buy a set of drill bits just for the drill press and keep them with it. Also, get a quality cross-slide vise, it makes drilling 'precision' holes so much easier. Once again I bought the HF cheapie and it has ~1/8" of play in all directions, so it's not much better than closing your eyes and guessing. If it takes belts, buy a spare set when you buy the machine.

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #23  
Eddie, Look also at magnetic drills (like Ebay item120277735377). They are amazingly versatile. Will attach in any position to most large objects to be drilled. Will attach to a welding bench top or piece of plate clamped in position on wood etc. It took two years of waiting but I bought an older Black & Decker 3/4" 9 like EBAY item270249133852) for $165 on EBAY. If you go standup drillpress and you're going to drill a lot of metal vs wood, look for a Clausing, Wilton, or Powermatic with t-slots in the table. Most are 3 phase & scare off a lot of buyers but the motor can be easily swapped for a single phase motor. Look also for power feed, it's a real nice feature. MikeD74T

Last edited:
   / Drill Press advice appreciated #24  

Eddie,

You might consider getting a used Delta or Craftsman. The older the better! A 50+ yr old Delta will be of a much better quality than the new cheap models. If you come across an old Wilton, jump on it.

If you want new, Grizzly has come a long way in the past ten yrs as far as quality is concerned.

Like everyone else said, look for: big, heavy, slow, max quill travel.

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #25  
No drill press!!!???!!! Man how did you get by? Bought a HF benchtop about 20 years ago, just retired it by giving it to a guy at work. I already had a drill press in Elkhart so I didn't need it. The thing about a drill press is the drilling is MUCH easier because of the simple downforce you put on the bit with the gears. Put all your weight on a hand held drill, or one hand it on the DP lever.

I swapped out the old DP for another HF model. more speeds and a little newer. I have it mounted on a pedestal. Hey it's cheaper than a floor model and everything I drill is smallish. Works great for drilling 60 holes while making a rake for the tractor. Put a block on the table as a guide and just slide it down to the marks. Less than an hour with cool down breaks..

Coupld pics...1st pic you can see the old and the new.

Rob

Attachments

• hftools (1).JPG
    hftools (1).JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 147
  • tractor-rake (3).JPG
    tractor-rake (3).JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 150
   / Drill Press advice appreciated #26  
No one has mentioned using good drill bits. I have burned many a bit by not knowing the metal I was drilling, the speed required, and the type of bit. High speed steel is OK on some things, but carbide cutting tools and bits are impressive. Carbide bits make the work so much easier. I started using carbide hole saws about a year ago, and they are awesome. The carbide bits used with mag drills are very good also.

Some of you have mentioned cuttings fluids, and they do work, but do leave a mess if you are not prepared to collect the runoff. I have several good magnet under the drilling table to help to collect the chips. If you wrap a cloth around the magnets, the chips come off as you remove the cloth.

Speaking of drill presses, a friend of mine called me the other day, and mentioned he had a drill press, and would I be interested. I went over to his place and saw an older cast iron model. It has 12 speeds, a 4.5 in drill depth, a 3/4 in chuck, and the shaft fully extended has no play in it. I believe the name on it was Enko. He let me have it for $100. I have a small drill press now that I have used quite a bit, and the carbide bits made up for the power and speed.

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #27  
Not sure how much you want to spend, but if you bought this one, Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices you probably would be set the rest of your life. I have the Craftsmen version of this and am happy with it. Harbor Freight has a 15% off coupon, that would lower the price around $70. That's a pretty good deal for under $400.

Decisions, decisions. :confused:

/ Drill Press advice appreciated
Brian,

That one from Harbor Freight might just be worth a drive out there. It's the only one that I've seen so far with a speed of 150 rpm's.

I'm gonna take another look at Grizzly.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #29  
Here is a nice floor model Eddie. It's an old Giddings & Lewis like I used to have for bigger stuff.
Lots of capacity too. Speeds are 60 to 1200 rpm.
(I borrowed this photo)

Seriously though, it sounds like that one you are going to look at with the low speed of 150 rpm will be the ticket. Sounds like a good one to me.

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #30  
dont forget to check out your local craigslist for a deal. I see them often in my area.

ive got an old 15 speed chineese one that i bought online like 8 years ago.... ive mod'd it a bit, and basicly keep it on the lowest speed because i mostly drill metal with it.