Drill Press advice appreciated

/ Drill Press advice appreciated
MtnViewRanch said:
Not sure how much you want to spend, but if you bought this one, Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices you probably would be set the rest of your life. I have the Craftsmen version of this and am happy with it. Harbor Freight has a 15% off coupon, that would lower the price around $70. That's a pretty good deal for under $400.

Decisions, decisions. :confused:

As luck would have it, I got a Harbor Freight paper in the mail today with what looks like the same drill press in it for sale. It says the regular price is $419.99 and the sale price is $389.99

It's model number, or they have it as LOT NO 39955 and is called a "12 SPEED FLOOR PRODUCTION DRILL PRESS"

Same name as on the website, but the item number on the website is 39955-7VGA and the price is $469.99

My guess is that the 7VGA is just a number showing the website price. Everything else in the descriptions looks good.

Sale ends July 21, so I got a little bit of time.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #32  
EddieWalker said:
As luck would have it, I got a Harbor Freight paper in the mail today with what looks like the same drill press in it for sale. It says the regular price is $419.99 and the sale price is $389.99

It's model number, or they have it as LOT NO 39955 and is called a "12 SPEED FLOOR PRODUCTION DRILL PRESS"

Same name as on the website, but the item number on the website is 39955-7VGA and the price is $469.99

My guess is that the 7VGA is just a number showing the website price. Everything else in the descriptions looks good.

Sale ends July 21, so I got a little bit of time.

Thanks,
Eddie

This is what has to be one of my biggest gripes with Harbor Freight. One add will have a certain number and then a week later there will be another add with a different number and different price for the exact same thing. That company keeps you on your toes, but as long as you know this and pay attention, you usually can get pretty good prices on things.

Good luck with your choice. Oh yeah, maybe look at their cobalt drill bits, we have had good luck with them.;)

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #33  
That is the one I have had my eyes on Eddie,

While certainly not the quality of the bigger name ones, like so many HF tools, it is good enough for me and what I am trying too do.

Eddie, have you got a 15% off coupon? I have one in my pocket I could mail you if you want valid thru 21 July.

/ Drill Press advice appreciated
Alan,

Thank you very much for the offer.

The flier that came in the mail has the price on it and the 15% off coupon on the back page. I'm going to put it in my truck just in case I somehow get turned in that direction and end up at the store. Sometimes my truck goes where it wants and I need to be prepaired.

Eddie

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #35  
EddieWalker said:
Alan,

Thank you very much for the offer.

The flier that came in the mail has the price on it and the 15% off coupon on the back page. I'm going to put it in my truck just in case I somehow get turned in that direction and end up at the store. Sometimes my truck goes where it wants and I need to be prepaired.

Eddie

Check the internet price to. All you have to do is print the internet page and the store will match the price. They don't even check the dates. I do it all the time.

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #36  
Those coupons make some of the bigger purchases all the more palatable when you catch the sale, plus the 15%

Hmmmm, just past my B-day, maybe that will be what I get.

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #37  
EddieWalker said:

I have that one, Eddie.....got it on sale with coupon for about $350. It
is the biggest and slowest I could find. I checked with Grizzley, Enco,
Jet, etc. My 1990 Delta 17" floor model really complained when I drilled
1" or bigger holes in 1/2" steel plate. It comes all it one box, weighing
over 300#!

My assessment of this DP is that it is OK, though the slowest speed is NOT
150RPM as advertised....it is 180RPM. I would prefer even less than 150,
but could find nothing slower without going with industrial gear-head units.
(You guys with milling machines are spoiled!)

I would buy this unit again. I like the heavy construction, the MT3 quill, and
the large wet table.

The 4 symbols after the part # refer to the catalog. I am punished with
1-2 catalogs/week, if you can imagine.

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #38  
dfkrug said:
(You guys with milling machines are spoiled!)

I do use my Bridgeport Mill mostly for drilling... and I've got a $59 cheapie bench model drill press for quick small diameter holes.

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #39  
If your using it for awkward shaped objects that may slip out of the vice and start spinning , it is better to have a belt driven drill press . At least that way by the time your arm gets wrapped around the chuck up to your elbow it will slip the belts . A gear driven drill press will not stop and you will look like a frog in a blender . A tip with floor stand drill presses is to help the table up while turning the raise handle . As the toothed rack is very long and whippy , it will snap in the middle when the handle is turned .

/ Drill Press advice appreciated #40  
Sort of a new guy here, so, sorry if this has been covered before.

I have a no name Asian 12 speed drill press for many years (1960's) which I've used to build many things including a standalone backhoe. This was mentioned earlier in this thread by J_J, about using quality hole saws for drilling larger holes. This takes far less power than a big drill, costs far less than a big bit, and allows some fun tricks like making really nice bosses for reinforcing holes in weldments.

I use deWalt or equal bimetal holesaws, some of which have been through literally feet of mild steel with just the original paint worn off. When making "precision" holes through weldments, I line up pre-drilled pieces, weld, then use a tapered bridge reamer to take everything to final size. By keeping my "designs" simple, I only need about three sizes of imported reamers (Enco as I recall)

The only trick is slow speed, clamping the part, and a lubricant (I know there is better stuff out there, but I only have used a squirt bottle of WD-40)