I never use a grease gun: question

/ I never use a grease gun: question #1  

Fredartic

I never use a grease gun. I have bought a mini. There are instructions explain how to put a cartridge in; it's ok. But nothing else is explained. Is there different sizes of adaptor to put on the gun for greasing the zirts?

Sorry for that ridiculous question, I'm not sure if the gun need an adaptor or if it can used without something else.

Thanks

/ I never use a grease gun: question #2  
most of the decent grease guns will have an adjustable tip. you turn the tip to make the little clampy things clamp harder. Like a drill chuck.

and dont feel to bad, there have been a number of threads about the dreaded evil grease gun reload.

quotes about squirting out of your hand, springs pinching palms.... much cursing and gnashing of teeth...

/ I never use a grease gun: question #3  
I have been using grease guns for years to grease my own equipment. I still have not mastered the process of changing the tubes without a mess. There may be a technique but I have yet to discover it. So don't feel like your question is ridiculous. Your asking the same question that many of us have.

/ I never use a grease gun: question #4  
I got one of those 12v grease guns from harbor freight. I use it for greasing everything up here. It's not too hard to reload. Just pull back and lock the spring handle, remove old cardboard tube, take the plastic cap off the new tube and insert it in open end first, pull the ring tab and open the other end (I always make a "ptssshhhh" sound and preten I'm opening a beer), then screw the spring handle cap back on and release the spring. There's your loaded grease gun.

Oh and FYI, do follow the manufacturers instructions when greasing, and that includes not overgreasing. Back when I worked for my father in law he would make us grease the mower decks every day (about 3 hours of use average). For some reason we kept burning up spindles and he would yell at us for not greasing it enough. I went and dug up the manual and the reason the spindles were burning up is they had too much grease, recommended lubrication....3 pumps per spindle every 100 hours.

/ I never use a grease gun: question #5  
Gravdigr said:
Oh and FYI, do follow the manufacturers instructions when greasing, and that includes not overgreasing. Back when I worked for my father in law he would make us grease the mower decks every day (about 3 hours of use average). For some reason we kept burning up spindles and he would yell at us for not greasing it enough. I went and dug up the manual and the reason the spindles were burning up is they had too much grease, recommended lubrication....3 pumps per spindle every 100 hours.

Out of interest... why would overgreasing burn up a spindle?

/ I never use a grease gun: question #6  
It is said that the rollers or balls plowing through the grease causes undue heat . If there is an air chamber the grease is moved into the chamber and only called upon when the bearing requires it . The heat of the bearing melts the grease and allows a trickle of liquid grease (oil) to lube the bearing and only when it is needed .

/ I never use a grease gun: question #7  
Fred, I bought one of the minis too so that I could carry one on the tractor with me.

I know what you mean because the original tip on mine seemed a hair too small to fit the standard zirk. They also supply a slide-on tip fitting in the kit that, well, didn't work worth a d@mn.

I bought a standard tip and replaced the one that came with it and it works just fine, no problem. I compared the two and can't see a difference in size or detail......but I couldn't get the original to fit anything while the second one works just fine.

/ I never use a grease gun: question #8  
They can put a man on the moon; but they can't make a grease gun that isn't a PITA.

/ I never use a grease gun: question #9  

What Ironhorse said. But that applies to rolling element bearings only.

Overgreasing will not wear out the pins on your BH or FEL for instance. Or kingpins, or balljoints. Just cost you more in grease.

/ I never use a grease gun: question #10  
I can tell you from experience that over greasing horse trailer wheels is BAD. I would assume it also goes for any wheel with brakes.
Horse trailer went back to factory for warranty work and shortly after it returned, only 1 of the 4 wheels had brakes left. Local mechanic started looking for the problem, was getting power to the brakes on all 4 wheels and should have worked but 3 didn't. After a few phone calls to the factory and pulling the wheel assemblies apart, he found the problem. Appearently someone at the factory had pumped as much grease into the bearing buddies as they could and it had screwed the braking system up. Trailer ended up with 4 new wheels.

A little grease is a beautiful thing, too much just makes a mess, it picks up every bit of dirt, grit and junk around.

My 2 bits

Mark