Such a complicated solution to a simple problem

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #1  

Gravdigr

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1510
So yesterday I was spreading some gravel on the cemetery road with my newly aquired Gehl 450 skid steer. I went to drop the bucket and the handle went loose in my hand and I couldn't move the bucket up or down. I had a pretty good idea what the problem was (linkage) but had no idea what I have to go through to fix it. Apparently the bolt that connects the swivel joint on the linkage to the handle backed itself out. Simple fix right? Wrong.

I had to remove the dash and a ton of brackets. I finally get to the last 4 bolts holding the cowel on and apparently these bolts that go through the floor do not use welded blind nuts, and I cannot fathom how to get a wrench to the nuts under the floor. The undercarriage is pretty much completely sealed. I would love to find the engineer that designed this BS setup. :mad:

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #2  
Yeah, it can be a real pain to figure out how these things go together. I had a similar nightmare with my backhoe. It took two people to get to the bolts to get the hose off and then on again. I was under it, reaching way up to a place I couldn't see, and my dad was reaching in from behind to the same place, which he couldn't see. It was one of those issues of just keeping at it until it came off. Not fun, but for a couple of hours, we got to spend quality time together. LOL

Eddie

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #3  
VERY simple solution.... Just dial the phone and hold your wallet out at arms length when the service truck pulls up. :eek:

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #4  
I had my forward HST pedal go loose on me on my 4010. A cotter pin had some out. I was able to get underneath and put a new pin in. Actually used an old key ring and washer.

Ralph

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #5  
Farmwithjunk said:
VERY simple solution.... Just dial the phone and hold your wallet out at arms length when the service truck pulls up. :eek:

While that approach does work for some, for others it is the most painful of solutions. Why else do we have cutters, grinders, air compressors except to dismantle things created by others to figure out exactly how they put them together :p What are you supposed to do with all of that free time waiting for and then watching the service guy work? :)

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #6  
tlbuser said:
While that approach does work for some, for others it is the most painful of solutions. Why else do we have cutters, grinders, air compressors except to dismantle things created by others to figure out exactly how they put them together :p What are you supposed to do with all of that free time waiting for and then watching the service guy work? :)

My comment was one of those "tongue in cheek" sorta things....

I'm one of those "They ain't built ANYTHING I can't take apart" types myself ;)

My comment was more of an opinion on the nature of todays products. They aren't built to be worked on by the end user. And that's why I like my OLD stuff so much.

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #7  
They aren't built to be worked on by the end user. And that's why I like my OLD stuff so much.

amen fwj

I recently took my washing machine apart to replace a worn bearing... Once I took the side covers off the whole darn thing near fell apart, no sub frame, just barely made strong enough to keep itself together. With all the component parts inside clipped into place. Perfect for a factory assembly line. Not good for the end user to take apart in his kitchen.
And adding insult to injury, instead of just paying $5 for a bearing, I had to buy the whole darn bearing housing and guide rails cos the bearing was integral to the plastic part...:mad: :mad:

Sometimes I wish I didnt throw out that 20 year old machine I used to have. I had an intimate knowledge of that thing. Just about anyone could have repaired it.

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem
My comment was more of an opinion on the nature of todays products. They aren't built to be worked on by the end user. And that's why I like my OLD stuff so much.

I don't think they get much older than this...
1.jpg

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #9  
Gravdigr said:
I don't think they get much older than this...
1.jpg

That is an old one. I wish I had my camera here at work today. We have an old "MELROE" Bobcat out behind the maint shop that's old enough it came WITHOUT a FOPS canopy. It seems like it showed up here back in the late '60's or very early 70's.

/ Such a complicated solution to a simple problem #10  
I think your & my skidsteers might be the same vintage.. Heres a few of my Melroe Bobcat after an engine overhaul, heavy service, paint & new decals.

Attachments

• 071215 CRIM0016 Bobcat Painted LT side (600 x 450).jpg
    071215 CRIM0016 Bobcat Painted LT side (600 x 450).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 071215 CRIM0018 Bobcat Painted rear (600 x 450).jpg
    071215 CRIM0018 Bobcat Painted rear (600 x 450).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 123