KK stump jumper removal??

/ KK stump jumper removal?? #1  

MarkV

Tractor
1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39
Hey guys I need some help removing a stump jumper on a KK rotary mower. The last time I mowed I happen to notice that the gear box seemed loose and to access the bolts that hold it on you have to remove the stump jumper. I have gotten the large retaining nut off but there must be a trick to getting the stump jumper off its splined shaft. No luck with pry bars, hammer or penetrating oil. Any help sure would be appreciated.

MarkV

/ KK stump jumper removal?? #2  
Well, if it was like mine........a BEAR!!!!!!!

Rather than try to remove it, I'd just blow a hole in with a torch to reach the nuts.......and, if you want to balance it back out......blow a hole in it 180 degrees on the other side and try to make them close to the same size..

What I did and even then I all but gave up! I took a torch and blew three little holes in it to put an old Ford axle puller on it..........these pullers can exert a LOT of force but it wasn't enough to remove the jumper. I heated and cooled it....PB Blaster.....used candle wax (probably the best) and beat on the axle puller with a pretty good sized sledge hammer...........towards the end, I knew it either had to come off or the whole hog was shot.....I finally took some VERY, VERY hard blows to it and it popped off on about my last attempt before giving up.......then, the gear box acted funny and I though I had chipped a tooth.....luckily I didn't....

I put a LOT of never sieze back on it when I put it back together, so the next time should be so bad......

Hopefully your's won't be so tough......

I can remember, but isn't there a hole already......no, I think that's from the top side to acess the blade nuts......

I don't have any pics.......

Good luck, if I can help, feel free to contact me....

/ KK stump jumper removal??
Flatheadyoungin said:
did she come off?
Not yet and my vocabulary of nasty words is just about depleted. Thanks for sharing what you went through on yours. Not exactly what I wanted to hear but at least I know it isn't just me. I am going to try a few more things and then I will get out a torch and cut an access hole in the stump jumper. It alway seems to be the jobs that look like they should take and hour that turn into nightmares.

MarkV

/ KK stump jumper removal?? #6  
You should have an access hole on top to remove the blades, spin the jumper until the solid bar (where the blades attach) shows, then bang away, then turn 180 and bang again. If you get get any down pressure from underneath it'll help. And you need a sledge, not a 20oz framing hammer! :D :D

If you just need to tighten, and have an impact wrench. See if you can slip a wrench under the jumper, or pry up on the gearbox to put the bolt under tension and hit it with the impact. If it catches just a little it'll usually stop spinning. Anything you can stick under there and hold the bolt head might work.

Good Luck,
Rob

/ KK stump jumper removal??
Thanks Rob, I have beat the stew out of it from the top without luck. No way to get a wrench on it and the impact will not take a bite on the loose bolts. I am still soaking it with PB Blaster and I’ll give it another try today.

Thanks,
MarkV

/ KK stump jumper removal?? #8  
hahahah, you can say that again!

i only managed to get one of the blade studs out.......they have a little notch and grove......they have to twist before they come out....

looking back, i'd price a stump jumper and tried to get the baldes off.....then i'd just split the stump jumper with a torch.....

like i said, depending on the price......

my stump jumper was slightly bent and i could get a wrench back in there but it was still very hard to do.......i can't think of how i did it, now...

keep us posted...

yes, i hate jobs that you think, "i'll just run out there and get that done quickly.......2 days later......"

MarkV said:
Not yet and my vocabulary of nasty words is just about depleted. MarkV

/ KK stump jumper removal?? #9  
A little counter intuitive trick I learned about seized metal nuts, bolts, screws. Before loosening, try tightening first. Most of the time, this has been the easiest way of breaking them free.

/ KK stump jumper removal?? #10  
I know that you are not supposed to do this because you could damage the gears but I just beat directly in the shaft and mine popped right off. Still works fine.