FEL sticking

/ FEL sticking #1  

dlabrie

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
I have a 402 FEL on my B2910. Sometimes when dumping if I stop before the bucket is all the way down then try to continue, nothing happens. I bring the lever back to the center then again to the side and it will complete the downward stroke. Lifting up and down and rotating up seem to be fine. Is this normal? If not what should I look for?Thanks,David

/ FEL sticking #2  
David,

Sounds mechanical - the first place to start lube the under side of the joystick at the acutator, then if that is not successful likely it's a sticking valve inside the body of the control lever. OR if you only expereince this after remounting the loader, could be air in the system., but based on your description I doubt that.

Also, if this happens under low rpms, and not higher rpm it points to the valve/seal area or could be a combination of Mech/Hyd in this case. e.g. higher pressure causes the valve to return to position.

As for a fix, this could be any one of three valves, so have a o-ring repair kit handy if you remove. I have done this before with other equipment (r/r loader valves) and you if you don't need to do this then don't.

Carl

/ FEL sticking #3  
Like Carl said..spray some cleaner around your joy stick,than work joy stick several times than spray again..sound like grim has set in,also check your hyd fluid just to make sure plus and drips.

Always wonder why in the fel manual it doesn't say to spray joy stick for cleaning.

/ FEL sticking
Carl,Thanks for the detailed response. I will try lubricating at thy joy stick. But if that fails, it is still under warrantee until the 12th May.I will have the shop look at it.David

/ FEL sticking
Thomas,
My manual does say to spray the joy stick. Every 10 hrs, I lube all the zerks and spray the stick control. I have a very slight drip on the R bucket piston. I'm going to have that checked as well. When using the loader, I generally run the engine at 17-2000 RPMS. Should I be running higher?
David... also in NH

/ FEL sticking #6  
I don't believe rpm's would cause the problem,for when the operator releases the joy stick it should stop the bucket at that point.

The small drip could be what causing the problem,for it doesn't take much air in hyd to cause a problem.

I would make a quick call to the dealer,and he should beable to come up w/ cure.

34F and snowing here..the weather station calling up to couple of inches of snow. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

/ FEL sticking #7  
are you going all the way to right and hitting the 'quick dump' zone. if you are then you have no hydraulic forces on the bucket. it simply opens both ports of the dump cylinders allowing the bucket to in effect swing free and dump. try being a bit less agressive in positioning the stick. part way to the right is hydro dump...all the way is gravity dump.

try with the bucket on the ground. you should be able to curl the bucket and raise the front wheels if you only go part way. the try going all the way and nothing should happen.

this is true for New Holland and I'm 99.99% sure for 'Bota too !

/ FEL sticking #8  
David,

My B21 LF cylinder had leakage from the seal, very slight but enough to stain the floor - a drip every few minutes when in use. Didn't effect the operation at all though. Dealer replaced the seals and no more leaks.

Regarding the dump feature, mine doesn't have this feature only hyd pressure dump or fill. The loader has a float postion as is typical.

And as Thomas and you are inside today, so am I. made a fire too..

Carl

/ FEL sticking
tc35dforme,
You know, that might just be it. The bucket is usually straight down when I stop. Then I push the joy stick all the way to the right and nothing happens.
It's about 25 degrees, snowy, rainy and just plain nasty out. But, I am going to trudge over to the barn to try it.
David

/ FEL sticking
...try with the bucket on the ground. you should be able to curl the bucket and raise the front wheels if you only go part way. the try going all the way and nothing should happen. ...
Tc35dforme
I went out and tried what you suggested. I guess my tractor doesn't have that feature. When I push the joy stick all the way to the right, I can lift the front wheels.

I played around with the bucket. I couldn't get it to stop like it was when I was using it before but it still hesitates a bit.
Brought in some more wood for the furnace. Brrrr!
David