Reliability? Electro-hydraulic PTO

/ Reliability? Electro-hydraulic PTO #1  

OkieNCognito

Skiatook, Oklahoma (NE part of the state)
Tractor
Mahindra 2810 / 28hp
I'm looking at a Mahindra 2810 (28 hp) that has independant PTO operated by a push button. It sounds like a great feature....I'd put it right up there with hydrostatic transmission.....but I'm leery.

Am I behind the times or is this relatively new? Why are other brands not carrying this? I really don't want to be a 14K guinea pig.

/ Reliability? Electro-hydraulic PTO #2  
My dealer really prefers the Hydaulic clutch vs. the electric clutch. He said that he has had to repair quite a few electric clutches, and is one of the reasons he likes the Bota ZTRs. Apparently many ZTRs use electric clutches. He said it was a fairly common thing to replace electric clutches every 2-3 years. Can't say personnally...I had 2 Cub Cadet lawn tractors that had electric PTOs. NEver kept them long enough to test his theory, though. Went to my BX! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Reliability? Electro-hydraulic PTO #3  
I had a Massey Ferguson 1125 in a former life in the early '90s that had an electric PTO switch. I didn't keep the tractor very long, but I had no problems w/ it. I think MF uses/used electric PTO w/ good reliability.

mark

/ Reliability? Electro-hydraulic PTO
Some dealers for other brands have tried to spook me on electric PTO's - but then none of their tractors offer it.

Sometimes I get the sense dealers will "cut-down" a particular feature in an effort to steer you to their own brand, "Beware of Brand X, they have a weak fel, rear axle, expensive parts, etc."

I'm just trying to decide if this is a real point of concern or more of a fear factor tactic.

/ Reliability? Electro-hydraulic PTO #5  
I have a JD F725 54" front mower with an electric clutch. Other than replacing the switch twice I've had no trouble with the elctric clutch itself. I've had it 10 years with 800 plus hours on it. The switch is a $10 item. I'd say water from leaving it outside is the culprit. The clutch is under the engine and looks like the engine would have to be lifted up to replace it.

/ Reliability? Electro-hydraulic PTO #6  
The electro-hydraulic speed control on the NH tractors is a solenoid (very accessible and easy to replace if needed). The solenoid opens a valve which changes the hydraulic motor's swashplate between 9º and 15º which corresponds to rabbit-turtle speeds. It's a great system and very reliable (no one on this board has ever had trouble with it except for one stuck fender switch). The switch on the joystick of the deluxe model tractors is a terrific innovation which makes operation of the tractor a breeze. After 250 hours on my TC45D, I wouldn't be without that feature no matter what "other" dealers say.

/ Reliability? Electro-hydraulic PTO #7  
Electric/hydraulic PTO's work fine the only fault I've had is with a straight electric only PTO's is a harsh engagement. Elect/hyd's engage smooth and quiet and IMHO are the future of PTO's. On the parts thing acrossed the board parts are expensive there is NO way around it.
Most tractors are pretty evenly matched anymore it's more of a personal preference and dealer support thing. Buy what you like and don't worry about it.
I DO know one thing DO NOT BUY a Brand X because from what everyone says they ARE junk. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif
BTI