Tractor
    Kubota B7500DT,June 2000

Default Gear Box Venting

Growing up on the farm all of our equipment had vents, usually in the gear box filler plug. Yesterday after using my SE4 rotary cutter I wanted to check the gear box oil before putting it up. When I removed the drain plug I noticed a positive pressure. Was thinking about putting in a vent and wanted others opinions.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Default Re: Gear Box Venting

I would look at your manual first...or talk to the dealer.
    I'd be very surprised (not the first time for being surprised!) if your B7500 wasn't already vented. It may just be clogged or obstructed.

Tractor
    Kubota 2910 HST

wichiwichi
    Many gearbox manufacturers call for not filling above the inspection hole. This allows for expansion. Check your manual. Make sure gearbox is not overfilled when it is cold.

<font color=blue>...not filling above the inspection hole. This allows for expansion. Check your manual...</font color=blue>

I agree with Ron...

If you fill it to the "rim"... when the gearbox oil gets hot... it will expand and with no space left to go... guess what... some seal has to give... [img]/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I forgot to mention... under some circumstances... even using a "vented plug"... it can become clogged like during brush hogging and then the vent is useless... false security...

Here's a perfect example where "too much" gearbox oil can be very harmful... [img]/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kubota B7500DT,June 2000

I have been through the manual and gear box is up to required level. The positive pressure (no venting) is causing seepage on the gear box seal.

<font color=blue>...gear box is up to required level. The positive pressure (no venting) is causing seepage on the gear box seal. ...</font color=blue>

Is it possible the gearbox was "overfilled" at one point prior to this and now the damage has already been done...?

Some other extreme cases when the seals don't go first... the gearbox casing cracks... [img]/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif[/img]