seal replacement on yanmar 1300 tiller

/ seal replacement on yanmar 1300 tiller #1  

Clabdor

The tiller that I have is leaking lubricating fluid from the bottom of the resevoir that houses the gears, sprockets and chain. I bought a seal from Hoye to replace the bad seal (assuming it is a bad seal). While I am mechanically inclined, I am not in the class of many of you with regards to repairs (my leve, currently, is I have done break jobs on my truck, pulled rotors, packed bearings, etc...). What I don't want to do it to dive into this and then find out it is way over my head, I don't have the right parts, or it is going to take way longer than I anticipated.

So... on a scale of 1 to 10, how hard will it be to replace that seal

Do I need any special tools (I have metric sockets)

How long do you suppose it might take given my ability level

If anyone has done this, I would sure appreciate some insight, feedback, advice, etc...

Anything else anyone is willing to provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks...

Clabdor

/ seal replacement on yanmar 1300 tiller #2  
I don't have one of those.. however.. in general.. seal replacement usually isn't too bad.. pry the old one out and seat the new one.

I'v use a punch to prick a hole inthe metal face of a seal then use a screwdriver flat to pry it out.. I've also used a self tapping sheet metal screw drille dinto one to get purchase on it.

To seat the new seal. find a socket or piece of pipe ( seal driver or bushing driver ) with an ID that slips over the shaft yet has an od slightly smaller than the seal.. then drive it in evenly..

check the bearing behind the seal.. lots seal failures start as a bearing failure.. once the bearing gets loose. the seal WILL eventually go.. etc.

having not seent he equipment.. can't say the time frame. but you will need to get the input shaft ( if this is the input seal ) free so you can remove and slide the new one on..

This is one of those 'experience builder' kind of jobs. 1st one might take you a bit.. but after that.. you will likely find it is no big deal.. if you can change brakes.. you have sufficient mechanical aptitude to change easy and medium difficulty external seals.

soundguy