Broken fixed end steering cyl tie rod bolt

/ Broken fixed end steering cyl tie rod bolt #1  

gdmclnh

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1528
Hello,

Been searching through the forums for a similar problem, but couldn't find one.

My MF 1528 (300 hard use hours) hydraulic steering cylinder has a tab on the fixed end with a tie rod end welded to it. The tie rod end bolt that goes through the hole in the bracket on the front of the front differential was either faulty or fatigued and broke off. It doesn't look like this tie rod end can be rebuilt in place.

Sooo, are the only options replacing the entire cylinder or cutting the tie rod end off and welding a new one on? I would think welding on the assembled cylinder wouldn't be good for the seals. I would probably take the cylinder apart so that the seals wouldn't be cooked.

Anybody have any help with this?

Thanks,
Glenn in New Hampshire

/ Broken fixed end steering cyl tie rod bolt #2  
Extend the shaft, wrap it good with old bath towels soaked in ice water and weld away.

/ Broken fixed end steering cyl tie rod bolt
Thanks,

This piston has the shaft running through the end caps and exposed on both ends. One end has the tie rod end that connects to the spindle on it and the other end (fixed end) where the tie rod bolt broke is bald. With the steering all the way to the side, the exposed bald end never enters the cylinder, so I can't do it the way you suggested. It's about $530 for a new cylinder. I think I'll drill through the tie rod end and replace the broken bolt of the tie rod ball joint with a grade 8 bolt and lock nut, jam nut and then put a thick washer under the bolt head. Then I'll keep an eye on it and see if it is wearing or bending. I don't think there is much movement of the ball joint of the tie rod end and the bolt may work OK. With the lock nut and washer it won't be bound up in the ball joint casing.

/ Broken fixed end steering cyl tie rod bolt #4  
Next step: post pictures

/ Broken fixed end steering cyl tie rod bolt #5  
So gdmclnh, I know it was quite a while back, but how did you get on with your fix and did it last? I have just had the exact same failure on my MF1531!!