Air compressor won't build pressure

/ Air compressor won't build pressure
soundguy said:
That gasket goo may dislodge and give you problems...
That's one of the main reasons that I did the gaskets the second time. I could tell I had put in way too much gasket maker, and I didn't want chunks coming loose and getting into air tools or plugging up tire valves.

soundguy said:
the clearances are kinda wide on the castings.. not having a solid gasket to clamp to may let the gasket move and blow out.

That's why I decided to let it sit overnight the second time before I tightened it all the way down. The theory was that if I let the goo set up with a little bigger gap, then I'd have a thicker gasket.

I tightened it down again this afternoon and the compressor pressured right up again. I even attached a blow gun and let it cycle a few times to make sure there were no other problems.
soundguy said:
In any event.. you now know how easy it is to get back into.. so if you do have to remake the gaskets.. it's not much time lost..

I am surprised at how simple these compressors are. I'll be a lot less intimidated with the next one that presents with a problem.

/ Air compressor won't build pressure #12  
Yep.. I was ready to junk mine as it was over 10ys old.. i was just gonna strip the motor and save the tank, and chuck the pump.. but when I started tearing it down.. i figured 10 minutes of cutting gskets may pay off.

soundguy

Yep.. I was ready to junk mine as it was over 10ys old.. i was just gonna strip the motor and save the tank, and chuck the pump.. but when I started tearing it down.. i figured 10 minutes of cutting gskets may pay off.

soundguy

What kind of gasket paper do you use, and where do you get it? I've purchased some from the hardware store, but what I get locally is a kit with three or four different gasket materials and each sheet is only about 4 inches square.

/ Air compressor won't build pressure #14  
i buy my gasket paper at Napa or car quest.. is about 12" wide, and comes in a roll... can be had in different thickness's.. the one I used was about as thick as cerial box board.. etc.

soundguy

i buy my gasket paper at Napa or car quest.. is about 12" wide, and comes in a roll... can be had in different thickness's.. the one I used was about as thick as cerial box board.. etc.

soundguy

Thanks.

It sounds like a roll of that will be pretty handy to have around. Even if it just saves me a trip to town to buy a specialized gasket for some project I'm working on it may pay for itself.

I'll have to check on it at the Napa store in town.

/ Air compressor won't build pressure #16  

soundguy
Yeah, I do the same. They also have cork in rolls if you like that for other applications. I like that for valve covers, transmission covers ... low pressure stuff for a good seal.

/ Air compressor won't build pressure #17  
Yep.. I have a roll of ruberized cork from the auto store, as well as a roll of non ruberized from the craft store.. that and some hi temp rtv or permatex, and yes.. they make great valve cover gaskets.

soundguy