Stuck Grease Gun on Grease Nipple. Need help removing it.

/ Stuck Grease Gun on Grease Nipple. Need help removing it. #1  

madslick

Bronze Member
I think I need some help from some of you.
Here is my problem:
For the past few months I have been having a real hard time greasing my BH75 (backhoe). I connect the grease gun real easily, pump the grease, but then when it is time to come off, it doesn't want to come off. It is stuck.:mad:
I will wiggle the grease gun tip back and forth, back and forth, while pulling on it and NOTHING.
I need to use Vise grips to hold on to the grease gun tip (chuck?) in order to get it out.
That is how I broke a few nipples so far.
I have replaced the Grease Gun tip with a NAPA tip and still no improvement.
I went as far as connecting the new Grease Gun tip to a grease nipple without being connected to the grease gun hose and it still gets stuck.
There has to be a better way of doing business...
I am pretty puzzled at this point. :confused:
Any help?

Thank you,
Rick

/ Stuck Grease Gun on Grease Nipple. Need help removing it. #2  
It gets stuck because the pin / bushing is clogged. It will continue to get stuck until you clear out the built up gunk. You can try solvent and wiggling the pin, driving it back and forth. There is also a grease gun like device that injects high pressure solvent to break up the clog.

To get unstuck, you just unscrew the hose or hard line from the grease gun, the pressure releases and it will come off like normal.

/ Stuck Grease Gun on Grease Nipple. Need help removing it. #3  
The coupler tips (i.e. the part that snaps onto the zerk) on most grease guns are adjustable to fit different size zerks. If this adjustment is cranked down all the way it will allow you to install the coupler onto a zerk but not remove it. Try turning the case of the tip while holding where it screws onto the hose. You should begin to see some really fine threads on the casing itself (i.e. not where it screws onto the hose). Adjust the tip as needed to fit your different size zerks - it only needs to be tightned just enough to where grease does not squirt out around the zerk when pumping grease.

Personally, I always leave my coupler rather loose so it is easy to install/remove and just hold pressure on the coupler with one hand while I pump grease with the other hand. (note: I only use a pistol grip grease guns which can be operated with 1 hand which leaves the other hand available to keep pressure on the coupler. I hate the traditional long lever guns which require 2 hands to operate the pumping action.)

Last edited:
   / Stuck Grease Gun on Grease Nipple. Need help removing it. #4  
It gets stuck because the pin / bushing is clogged. It will continue to get stuck until you clear out the built up gunk. You can try solvent and wiggling the pin, driving it back and forth. There is also a grease gun like device that injects high pressure solvent to break up the clog.

To get unstuck, you just unscrew the hose or hard line from the grease gun, the pressure releases and it will come off like normal.

It could just be the little ball/check valve in the tip of the zerk.

I find a 16d nail to be an indispensable tool in greasing. I use it to clean around the zerks, especially the recessed ones, by pushing a paper towel or rag around in the hole. If I get one that won't take grease, I depress the ball with the tip of the nail and this cures the problem 90% of the time.

/ Stuck Grease Gun on Grease Nipple. Need help removing it. #5  
It could just be the little ball/check valve in the tip of the zerk.

I find a 16d nail to be an indispensable tool in greasing. I use it to clean around the zerks, especially the recessed ones, by pushing a paper towel or rag around in the hole. If I get one that won't take grease, I depress the ball with the tip of the nail and this cures the problem 90% of the time.

You know Dave, I've not had that success. Typically, I pull the zerk and replace and try again. That mostly just results in getting grease on my fingers! Then I remove the new zerk and use a small pick to pick out the hardened grease. Then spray with brake cleaner. If I am ambituous, I'll remove the gun outlet tube and blow out the grease, then attach it to the zerk and fill the tube with brake cleaner and reattach to the gun. Then pump in the brake cleaner. That's a lot of work, but sometimes it works and is easier than pounding out a pin.

I sure would like to know how one day a pin can be easy to lube and the next a real bear!

jb

/ Stuck Grease Gun on Grease Nipple. Need help removing it. #6  
Just how they set.. On my JD1517 batwing mower.. depending on how hig I have the mower elevated, some of the pins just plain won't take grease... lower the deck a few inches.. and no problem. I believe the grease gallies must be just a grease hole in the bushing that gets completely blocked off by some weight on the pin into the bushing.. vs having a nice channel cut into the bushing.. etc..for the grease to flow..

soundguy

/ Stuck Grease Gun on Grease Nipple. Need help removing it. #7  
On the left american. On the right, metric.

I have a couple of Kubotas (metric), after squeezing grease in the zerks the only way the tip comes off is by loosening it.

Attachments

• grease zerks metric american cropped.jpg
    grease zerks metric american cropped.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 8,041
   / Stuck Grease Gun on Grease Nipple. Need help removing it. #8  
They do make two different tightness grease gun couplers, a loose and a tight one. Sounds like you need a loose fitting one or a adjustable one.

/ Stuck Grease Gun on Grease Nipple. Need help removing it.
Sucess!
The coupler from TSC worked perfectly. I was able to unscrew the 2 parts of the coupler relieving the grasp of the 4 claws.
At first, some grease was coming out of the threads were the 2 parts connect, but I put a little teflon tape and all was good after that.

The coupler was:
OEM
P/N 25710

If you look at the packages for the couplers, they don't identify them as loose/tight fitting, so I don't know how you could buy the wright one.

Thank you all,
Rick

/ Stuck Grease Gun on Grease Nipple. Need help removing it. #10  
They do make two different tightness grease gun couplers, a loose and a tight one. Sounds like you need a loose fitting one or a adjustable one.

Diesel, I would love to find a 'loose' one. Any pointers as to where to look?