Fab a diaphragm for a small engine Carb.

/ Fab a diaphragm for a small engine Carb. #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
Here's another pie in the sky question for others who ascribe to the theory of "Fix it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

I just picked up a sears 500 watt generator with a 1 hp engine. The diaphragm for the carbeuretor is blown, and I don't see it offered on the sears parts website. Can a guy get the material for one of these diaphragms and just cut one out like he can with gaskets?

/ Fab a diaphragm for a small engine Carb.
If it helps anyone, the sears model number on the housing is 580.328150

/ Fab a diaphragm for a small engine Carb. #3  
I don't know if this helps, but I had a similar problem on an old Sears power washer. It had a Briggs and Stratton engine.
I went to one of the large mower repair places near here and they not only could cross reference and match the number, but had the two piece diaphragm and gasket in stock!
I don't remember exactly, but it was only a couple of dollars.

/ Fab a diaphragm for a small engine Carb. #4  
Sears never made anything themselves. The engine was made buy some other company. Take it to a small engine shop. They can probably tell you who made the engine and hopefully order you the parts.

/ Fab a diaphragm for a small engine Carb. #5  
Here's another pie in the sky question for others who ascribe to the theory of "Fix it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without."

I just picked up a sears 500 watt generator with a 1 hp engine. The diaphragm for the carbeuretor is blown, and I don't see it offered on the sears parts website. Can a guy get the material for one of these diaphragms and just cut one out like he can with gaskets?

What do you mean with "diaphragm" in the carburetor? Is it part of a fuel pump? are we talking a gasket material maybe ? a thin piece of EPDM rubber can be used for a pump but usually they are .5 mil at least and pretty thick for diaphragm material. If we're talking gasket, for emergency situation I have cut out gasket material out of cereal box card board impregnated in engine oil. surprisingly it works well till you find real replacement. you can also get stock gasket material to cut out what you need with a very sharp exacto knife.

jc,

/ Fab a diaphragm for a small engine Carb. #6  
What do you mean with "diaphragm" in the carburetor?

jc,

Many small engines incorporate a fuel pump into the carburator. The diaphram
does the pumping. It lifts the fuel from the fuel tank below the carb. Both Briggs and Stratton & Techumsec use them on certain models.

/ Fab a diaphragm for a small engine Carb. #7  
Many small engines incorporate a fuel pump into the carburator. The diaphram
does the pumping. It lifts the fuel from the fuel tank below the carb. Both Briggs and Stratton & Techumsec use them on certain models.

Yes, You are right, my Briggs engine on my 5hp tiller uses diaphragm type fuel pump and the tank is lower than the carburetor so fuel must be pumped up. I just wanted to make sure I understood the original question right. A lot of diaphragm are very thin EPDM rubber material to allow pulsation hence pumping by vacuum caused by piston reciprocating. I have not been able to find thin enough rubber material to make my diaphragm yet.

Jc,

/ Fab a diaphragm for a small engine Carb.
Thanks for the replies everyone. Here's the plan...

I have some nitrile gloves. I'm going to try some nitrile glove material in addition to the old Diaphragm. The hope here is that the old diaphragm will provide the necessary rigidity and the nitrile will provide the seal. the diaphragm is broken just around one edge, so this just may work.

If that doesn't work (maybe even if it does), I'll try the local small engine repair guy. He's done pretty good at getting me parts.

/ Fab a diaphragm for a small engine Carb. #9  
Iplay...That's a good idea about the nitrile gloves...I would never have thought of that. If the rubber is gas resistant... A lot of small engines use diaphrams in their carb designs. Especially the 2 stroke engines which power weedeaters, chainsaws, blowers, etc. Would you let us know how well the glove idea works? That's a good backup plan also when it's a Sunday and the parts places are closed...