generator or voltage regulator trouble

/ generator or voltage regulator trouble #1  

furnacebrook

Tractor
1979 Kubota B7100
Hope someone out there can set me on the right path here. I have a case 580ck tractor with an alternator generator combined unit and a voltage regulator for the charging system. The battery has been draining down very slowly for sometime now and I finally did a system check with one of those battery and charging system meters. Seems that all I'm getting is about 12.5 volts and it's supposed to be in the 14.5 range. What I am wondering is how do I check just the generator and the voltage regulator separately to see which one is the problem? The generator had been rebuilt by the previous owner many years ago but thats all the information I have. Would rather not tear it all out if I do not have to like the rebuilt shop tells me to do so he can check both himself.

Thanks for any help, Scott

/ generator or voltage regulator trouble #2  
Hope someone out there can set me on the right path here. I have a case 580ck tractor with an alternator generator combined unit and a voltage regulator for the charging system. The battery has been draining down very slowly for sometime now and I finally did a system check with one of those battery and charging system meters. Seems that all I'm getting is about 12.5 volts and it's supposed to be in the 14.5 range. What I am wondering is how do I check just the generator and the voltage regulator separately to see which one is the problem? The generator had been rebuilt by the previous owner many years ago but thats all the information I have. Would rather not tear it all out if I do not have to like the rebuilt shop tells me to do so he can check both himself.

Thanks for any help, Scott

I'm not familiar with the Case 580ck. Do you have a generator or an alternator?? Makes a big difference concerning how you would troubleshoot the problem.

Note: You could remove the alternator and bench test the unit at most auto parts store, for little cost if not for free.
;)

/ generator or voltage regulator trouble #3  
My neighbour had one and it is a generator-starter motor combination
When 12v is applied it turns as a starter,once running the voltage regulator senses current being generated and it feeds current into the system
It should be tested
Probably worn brushes
Very easy to rebuild
Check voltage regulator first
Good luck
DGS

/ generator or voltage regulator trouble #4  
Yuck.. i don't like the genny/starter combo's.. but.. i would deffinately start my check with the vr. Find out if that unit is a circuit or B circuit. with field wire disconnected at the genny, If A circuit, then you will read voltage between the F terminal and ground if you momentarilly apply power to the armature.

If it is B circuit, then you will read 0v from field to ground when you momentarilly apply power to the armature.

once you determine field type.. post back and I'll tell you how to test the reg...

Soundguy

/ generator or voltage regulator trouble
Ok.......... but it's not a starter/generator. There is a separate starter and then there is this generator that runs off of the fan belt. The guy at the rebuild shop asked me if it was a generator/alternator unit ? I don't have a separate alternator just this generator and a voltage regulator. I'm assuming there has to be all three for a charging system in one configuration or the other so maybe it is ? but I don't see anything on the generator that looks out of the ordinary. Would your test still work on this setup?

Thanks to all of you for the replies, Scott

/ generator or voltage regulator trouble #6  
This is getting complicated by people using the wrong terminology..

If it's a genny.. test it like I mentioned.

If it's an alternator.. take it into a car parts store for a free test..

Once you decide what it is.. then post back and I'll tell you how to motor test it, and then how to diagnose the vreg.. a or b circuit..

soundguy