Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L48 Kobelco sk100 Kobelco sko35 case 450 Mack R600

Default Re: track comes off 1960 AC hd6 dozer

make sure that the bushing is not wore out in the track frame where it bolts to the center of the machine also make sure the diagonal brace has not been broken and repaired and not done right the hole for the brace and the outboardbearing must line up exactily or you will have problems. we have been a dealer for AC for over 75 years and the old ones like that had very few problems breaking the axle shaft unless something like that happened! also make sure when you install the brace under the machine that it is centered on the pin and not rubbing either side of the caps as that will put the frame in a bind also
    Last edited by Dirthog; 10-07-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: more complete answer

Tractor
    ac hd6 crawler

wasn't able to do much today but I took some pics.I don't know yet if the diagonal brace bearing is worn or not,or length of the diagonal braces I did not take measurements yet but I will ,the 'c' frame I am not sure what that is but I took a pic of the guide on the side of the frame that has had some material added to it and could cause some stress on the track frame .pic #1 for this discussion

the diagonal brace has not been broken and repaired .but there is a bend in the back of the track frame near the location of the bearing ,though I don't know if it affects how the bearings line up with the diagonal arm bushing.but it might, and I would assume that would be the same as if the arm was repaired and not done right.

question ,is it true that the diagonal arm bushing is the only thing that keeps the track frame from moving side to side
    pic#1 .blade arm brace that could be a problem
    pic #2 shaft still stuck in the bearings
    pic#3 shaft broke at the edge of the sprocket
    pic#4 there is a bend in the end of the track frame
    pic#5 another view of the bend in the track frame
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -1-jpg   -2-jpg   -3-jpg   -4-jpg   -5-jpg  

Just for curiosity; on Pic.#5 there is a home fabricated brace for the dozer arm?? bolted to the bull wheel. Does the other side have this same type of fabricated attachment for the dozer arm?

My terminology is not correct!
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    New Holland TC45 Shuttle

well, it looks like your work area is beginning to dry out!
    TC45 Shuttle, 270 hours, 758C backhoe, 16LA loader

Well, I looks like I just bought myself a lot of work.....

Gold Member
    Tractor

there is something wrong with the outboard bearing cage there should be a flange on the outside that bolts to the track frame the same size as the bearing cap the bolts go through both pieces to hold the track frame to the bearing. not sure what that plate is that is welded onto the cage and bolted to the sprocket? it almost look's like the cage was put on backward! there should be a small lock that is only about 1/2" thick and 2" biger in dia. than the sprocket nut to keep it tight. the brace on the blade should not affect anything thats what the wear guards on the idlers were for to keep in centered

Tractor
    ac hd6 crawler

home fabricated brace for the dozer arm ,yes is the same on the other side.
    the more it rains the more I find wrong and it will be snowing soon hopefully be done by spring .
    now about the missing flange, in pic #2 the top of the piece shown is the end of the axle that broke and on the bottom there is a flange that would be on the outside if the axle was placed back inside the sprocket the way it was before taking it apart and to the right of that there is a cover that bolts to it ,is that the piece that you are referring to when you say there is piece missing.

in the pic (rubber gasket) #1 is a rubber gasket and #2 is a steel plate , this is supposed to keep dirt out of that area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -rubber-gasket-jpg   -2-jpg  
    Last edited by hd61960; 10-08-2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: ad picture

Surely hope you get it all worked out. It's always a pain getting to work on stuff outside but that is where it always seems to have the propensity to break.

Alignment may be an issue with the axle breaking but other than making a comment there is no way I have any knowledge that could help you.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Gold Member
    Tractor

It looks like someone made some of the parts the #1 in the picture should be part of the nut and be smaller than the caps in the frame. infact you bolt the track frame up under the machine and then center it between the caps that go between the outboard bearing cap and track frame. the seal rides inside of the nut and the outboard bearing cage not sure what #2 is the lock for the nut as i said should be a small flat plate that is only about 1/2" thick maybe less the outboard bearing cage goes over the nut to keep the dirt out of the seal which is made in 5 pieces a spring assembly, rubber boot which covers it and two metal seals which one glue's onto the spring assembly the other onto the outboard bearing cage (use 3m weather strip cement) you are going to need a new bearing cage and sprocket nut the way those are tore up.

Tractor
    ac hd6 crawler

put it back together and used it the way it was , I don't have the tools to do much work on it , did most of the earth moving I was doing and then buried it in a swamp ,
    took me a month with a chain saw and a shovel to get it out ,( shovel as in pick and shovel )nothing hydraulic ;-( , after getting it out I parked it behind the house where it sat till couple weeks ago , starter was seized so I fixed that and bought 2 new batteries and it started right up ;-/ ,
    but now the steering clutches are stuck , so that's where I'm at now ;-) , if I can get it working again I will finish the job I started next summer when it dries up .
    cheers all .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_7287-jpg  
    Last edited by hd61960; 09-20-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123