track comes off 1960 AC hd6 dozer

/ track comes off 1960 AC hd6 dozer #1  

hd61960

Tractor
ac hd6 crawler
the track came off, after some considerable effort I got it back on .
now its starting to come of again on the idler wheel and I notice the side that the track is on is 3 or 4 inches farther out from the body of the machine than it should be ,what is going on that the hole side of the machine can move over ,and its not just the track because the blade is binding and I can look down at the leaf spring and its 3 to 4 inches out of alinment and the track is coming off in the direction of the body that would put it closer to the body .
there most be something going on with the rear end I think ,does anybody have any idea what is going on.

/ track comes off 1960 AC hd6 dozer #2  
Something has happened to the oscilation bearings at the rear of the trackframe . Bearing cap missing or broken arm maybe , look under the back of the machine .

/ track comes off 1960 AC hd6 dozer #3  
I just got your email but mine is playing up so i'll answer your question here . If you look under the back of the machine you will see that the trackframes have solid arms coming off at their mid section which run to the back of the machine and are attached to an axle shaft with trunion bearings that have caps to attach them . The only two places the trackframes are attached are at the sprockets on the outside and by the arms underneath . The front end floats on the leaf spring . This allows the tracks to oscilate on uneven terrain . It can only be at these points that could allow the trackframes to become out of line . Once you stick your head under the machine you will see what i mean .

/ track comes off 1960 AC hd6 dozer
I looked under the machine ,the arm is not broken and the caps are there and tight, the cap at the sprocket has a 1/16inch gap showing on one side of the cap ,when I tried to tighten it down the bolt stripped .I would think the bushing on the end of the arm would be more likely to be the problem ,do you think so.
or do you think the 1/16th inch gap would be the problem. also this track frame is different than the one on the other side,it has been replaced at some time in the past with a track frame from something else ..and the 2nd previous owner had put a pipe running from one track frame to the other ,now aparently to correct this problem but the 1st owner before me removed it .how do you think I should procede now.

/ track comes off 1960 AC hd6 dozer #6  
I'm sorry , it sounds as if it has been cobbled together . It hard to say now , that 1/16" of an inch back at the sprocket would be 3" at the front , but yes i think it also has internal wear . I can hardly imagine what they have done to get a different frame to fit .

/ track comes off 1960 AC hd6 dozer #7  
Yeah bearing, bushing somewhere. Had a JD350 crawler that started throwing the track...just before the final drive went out. Not fun. Heavy stuff.

it was the bearings as the picture will show you.

Attachments

• AC hd6 year 1960.JPG
    AC hd6 year 1960.JPG
    275.4 KB · Views: 609
  • cap  not tight and bearings coming out.JPG
    cap not tight and bearings coming out.JPG
    429.9 KB · Views: 447
  • bearing case shreded like a meat grinder..JPG
    bearing case shreded like a meat grinder..JPG
    336.6 KB · Views: 421
  • an other angle of bearings.JPG
    an other angle of bearings.JPG
    442.8 KB · Views: 287
starting the repair,track laid out ready to take the cap off and jack the dozer off of the track frame.

Attachments

• IMG_3416 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3416 - Copy.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_3417 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3417 - Copy.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_3418 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3418 - Copy.JPG
    389.9 KB · Views: 765
   / track comes off 1960 AC hd6 dozer #10  
Had a HD6 a few years back.
Powerfull for it's size and did lots of work for me.
My only bad luck was snagging a hydraulic line to the blade lift cylinder and taking a hydraulic oil bath/shower.

Paid $4000, earned me $8000 and sold it for $4000. Was not a bad deal all in all.
(also did all my jobs for mere fuel costs)