'07 John Deere 3520 Hydraulic problems

/ '07 John Deere 3520 Hydraulic problems #1  

bdblount

I have a 1.5 year old John Deere 3520 tractor with a 300 CX loader. It is a hydrostatic 4x4 model. Ever since I've had the tractor the tranny whines a lot and the loader and three point lift are very jumpy. I brought it back to the dealer several months ago and they said they couldn't find any problems (classic response), however they did change the hydraulic fluid and all filters.
The tractor still has the same problems. When you raise the loader it is very jumpy and makes a lot of whining sounds. When the three point hitch is raised with a load it will slowly lower a couple of inches over a few minutes and then bump back up on its own. Its almost like it is losing pressure slowly and then all of the sudden a valve or something changes and the fluid surges back through the system. Any suggestions on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

/ '07 John Deere 3520 Hydraulic problems #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

What you are describing is definitely NOT normal. If your machine is still under warranty then you need to find a different dealer who wants to help...

The 3PH jumping is a symptom of the rockshaft valve being bad...and JD did have a run of these on the 3x20 series tractors.

As far as the loader, it could be a bad coupler, Or when they changed the fluid and filter they did not remove and clean the return screen that is in the system. How nay hours on your machine?

/ '07 John Deere 3520 Hydraulic problems
The tractor has about 175 hours on it and is it still under warranty. Before I brought it into the shop I called around to a few dealers and asked if they knew anything about these problems. One said he had cleaned out some pieces of trash caught in some valve ports. This dealer was about 200 miles away or I would have brought the tractor to him. As an added note the tractor has loadmatch- could this have anything to do with it?

/ '07 John Deere 3520 Hydraulic problems #4  
Loadmatch won't have anything to do with that problem. Your hydraulics are not right. Keep hasseling the dealer for find a different dealer to fix the problem under warranty. I have none of those issues and my tranny has no whine.

Could it possibly be air in the system? How could I bleed the system to make sure there is no air?

/ '07 John Deere 3520 Hydraulic problems #6  
The system is self-bleeding, so that is unlikely the cause.

/ '07 John Deere 3520 Hydraulic problems #7  
Your issue definitely isn't normal and I agree with kennyd that it sounds like a 3 point hitch control valve issue. I remember reading that this series had an issue w/ those valves. Another scenario from experience with my personal tractor (non JD), it could also be a symptom of debris either in the control valve or in relief valve.

The loader is surging for a reason. Your dealer is blowing smoke and hoping you'll just deal with it. They are probably being honest by saying "we couldn't find any problems." However, when the symptoms persist after they looked at it, it is obvious that what they really meant is "WE don't know what's wrong with it, we'll try making a superficial effort and hope that satisfies you enough that you'll decide to live with it". Give me a break, it's under warranty. No one likes being a jerk but lets be real, you spent a ton of money on a top of the line product and if it doesn't work correctly. It is very reasonable to expect the dealer to either fix it or get with their JD rep and figure out how to make it right. Is this unreasonable? Absolutely not! I would take it back to the dealer and let them have an honest shot at fixing it. If that is unsuccessful I would be having some phone conversations with John Deere.

/ '07 John Deere 3520 Hydraulic problems #8  
Hi, did you happen to figure out the hydraulic jumping problem? I have a 4210 and I am starting to experience the same conditions. I have had my tractor for about 5 years and it just started this abnormal performance.

Any help is much appreciated!!

KMW

I brought the tractor in to the dealer and they found it to have a cracked rocker shaft on the three point lift lever. When I picked it up it seemed to be OK (not great). They assured me the problem was solved. Well, that was six months ago and the problem is as bad as it ever was (maybe worse). I believe the tractor has a bad hydraulic pump and they patched it up so it would pacify me until the warranty expired. Well, guess what, the warranty is expired and I'm stuck with this thing and its lackluster performance. I guess I'll buy a new pump for it at some point.:mad:

/ '07 John Deere 3520 Hydraulic problems #10  
Hello
Call John Deere and explain the problem.
At this point you have nothing to lose.
I bet they are interested in the problem and they will fix it or they wont.
Either way tell every one you talk to about your experence , good or bad.