Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Montana 4344HST

Default Favorite tools-any odd tools you find really usefull?

Mine is the Power Probe. powerprobe
    You attach it to the battery of the vehicle you are working on, touch the tip to a hot and it shows red (with tone) a ground and it shows green (with a different tone)
    Rock the switch forward and battery voltage is at the tip, back and ground is at the tip.
    It has a ground clip so you can activate a component
    Power Probe 1 is led only
    Power Probe II has led and tones
    Power Probe 1 has led, tones and a voltage meter

An example on how I use it: had a car with tail lights inop. Hooked the probe up and pulled the left assy out. touched it to hot side of the bulb, red light=good power. touched it to ground side, nothing. rocked the switch back to ground the lights lit up. Repaired the broken ground.
    on spade fuses i just walk down the rows of fuses looking for power on each side or a good ground on each side.

a great tool, around 100 dollars.
    I own two p/p 1's and one p/p 3
    Sackett aka "Steve"
    TSgt, USAF Ret. 1981-2001
    2008 Montana 4344HST
    4' Brush Hog; 6' rear blade; 6' box blade

"Thanks for the tractor Rick"
    In memory of my brother
    Richard A. Hansen 1961-2008
    SSgt, USAF Ret. 1980-2000

Tractor
    Kubota B1750

Default Re: Favorite tools-any odd tools you find really usefull?

- grafting knife for any work with wood

also a habit to use an axe instead of framing hammer - like this one.
    Regards,

Prokop

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Tractor
    Big & Small one :)

Oh man that's a tough one. I guess It's a toss between my metal lathe and the new Miller Dynasty 200 DX I purchased last winter. I built a Custom cart for it that's been a Hugh hit around the net. Check out the link if you want to see it.

Dynasty DX Crazy Cart - WeldingWeb - Welding forum for pros and enthusiasts
    ...Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude...

Visit us on the web @ www.specialtyrepairs.ca

YouTube Video's: http://www.youtube.com/user/7863348?feature=guide

2011 Kubota 5740/854 FEL/L2674 Blower/Artic Angle blade with 3rd function set up,Rain Tracker Wiper system, custom built vertical exhaust,Grammer Air Ride Seat and other custom stuff
    2013 Kubota BX25D with many mods
    Kubota ZTR ZG 222 Z
    Custom Toyota Fork Lift

Paul, you really do some neat work. That's a fine look cart for that welder, and I looked at some of your other work, too. Really work to be proud of.
    Bird

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Dad's=JD4440;IH1066;JD4020;JD3010;2 JD"B" 1949 & 1937(hand-crank)

A short handle 2 lb hammer. You take a normal hammer and cut off about 5"-6" of the wood handle. It fits in more tight spaces than you can think of. A mechanic friend of mine from 25 years ago, accidentally broke his hammer handle and said the shorten handle was the most useful hammer he has ever used. I, later, cut my handle and it is the most used tool I own. It increases your accuracy too, for hitting punches, chisels or tapping in roll pins, etc. Just buy a cheap $5 hammer and try it. Actually, grap the handle close to the head, wear it feels comfortable, then saw the handle off right behind your hand.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD2320 w/R4 $21,100 w/7.16%off

My favorite is my 4 lb hammer. It seems that there's always something that needs coaxing. And with a heavy head, you don't need to take a big swing.
    I bought an extra one that I leave outside. Let it rust, it still works fine.
    Eastern PA -JD2320 w/R4; 200CX w/61" bucket & Markham toothbar or JD adj forks; 46BH w/16", Imatch, ballast box & York rake-blade-scarifer, 54" front plow and trailer receiver. Case 580K w/fel+bh, mule 610XC

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD3520

Gotta go with the standard 1lb hammer, and the channel-locks... the pry bar is indespensible when it is...
    browns40

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

Hate to pile on but I have to go with the short-handled 2 lb hammer. If you need it there is no substitute.

Almost went with the jacknife, prybar, adjustible wrench or screwdriver. Can't get by without those either.
    But love that hammer. Mine happens to be Japanese, I think, from maybe 20 years ago. Looks it's age but very well cared for.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Blue Tipped Wrench. I think it falls into the "get a bigger hammer category". No more problems with seized bolts for sure

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 HSTC

Thought about that for a little while. The tool I find most often in my hand is my Leatherman "Super" that I bought many years ago. Have used it lots and it is still in good working condition. The nylon belt holster is nearly worn out though.
    Part of the reason for it being most often in my hand is that it is always right there within easy reach. It might not be the very best tool for the job but still much better than no tool.
    Rod.
    B3030HSDC, LA403 FEL, B2782A front blower, B5320 ballast box, Landpride-BH, RFM, tiller, FM2060 flail, GS1572 grader/scraper, BX42 chipper, PTO generator, homebuilt splitter and 3pt carry all.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast