Favorite tools-any odd tools you find really usefull?

/ Favorite tools-any odd tools you find really usefull? #1  

Sackett2

Platinum Member
Tractor
Montana 4344HST
Mine is the Power Probe. powerprobe
You attach it to the battery of the vehicle you are working on, touch the tip to a hot and it shows red (with tone) a ground and it shows green (with a different tone)
Rock the switch forward and battery voltage is at the tip, back and ground is at the tip.
It has a ground clip so you can activate a component
Power Probe 1 is led only
Power Probe II has led and tones
Power Probe 1 has led, tones and a voltage meter

An example on how I use it: had a car with tail lights inop. Hooked the probe up and pulled the left assy out. touched it to hot side of the bulb, red light=good power. touched it to ground side, nothing. rocked the switch back to ground the lights lit up. Repaired the broken ground.
on spade fuses i just walk down the rows of fuses looking for power on each side or a good ground on each side.

a great tool, around 100 dollars.
I own two p/p 1's and one p/p 3

/ Favorite tools-any odd tools you find really usefull? #2  
- grafting knife for any work with wood

also a habit to use an axe instead of framing hammer - like this one.

/ Favorite tools-any odd tools you find really usefull? #3  
   / Favorite tools-any odd tools you find really usefull? #4  
Paul, you really do some neat work. That's a fine look cart for that welder, and I looked at some of your other work, too. Really work to be proud of.

/ Favorite tools-any odd tools you find really usefull? #5  
A short handle 2 lb hammer. You take a normal hammer and cut off about 5"-6" of the wood handle. It fits in more tight spaces than you can think of. A mechanic friend of mine from 25 years ago, accidentally broke his hammer handle and said the shorten handle was the most useful hammer he has ever used. I, later, cut my handle and it is the most used tool I own. It increases your accuracy too, for hitting punches, chisels or tapping in roll pins, etc. Just buy a cheap $5 hammer and try it. Actually, grap the handle close to the head, wear it feels comfortable, then saw the handle off right behind your hand.

/ Favorite tools-any odd tools you find really usefull? #6  
My favorite is my 4 lb hammer. It seems that there's always something that needs coaxing. And with a heavy head, you don't need to take a big swing.
I bought an extra one that I leave outside. Let it rust, it still works fine.

/ Favorite tools-any odd tools you find really usefull? #7  
Gotta go with the standard 1lb hammer, and the channel-locks... the pry bar is indespensible when it is...

/ Favorite tools-any odd tools you find really usefull? #8  
Hate to pile on but I have to go with the short-handled 2 lb hammer. If you need it there is no substitute.

Almost went with the jacknife, prybar, adjustible wrench or screwdriver. Can't get by without those either.
But love that hammer. Mine happens to be Japanese, I think, from maybe 20 years ago. Looks it's age but very well cared for.

/ Favorite tools-any odd tools you find really usefull? #9  
Blue Tipped Wrench. I think it falls into the "get a bigger hammer category". No more problems with seized bolts for sure :D

/ Favorite tools-any odd tools you find really usefull? #10  
Thought about that for a little while. The tool I find most often in my hand is my Leatherman "Super" that I bought many years ago. Have used it lots and it is still in good working condition. The nylon belt holster is nearly worn out though.
Part of the reason for it being most often in my hand is that it is always right there within easy reach. It might not be the very best tool for the job but still much better than no tool.