Loose wheel bolts on JD 4400/help please

/ Loose wheel bolts on JD 4400/help please #1  

Anonymous Poster

I looked all over 2 citys today for an all thread or stud in a size 14 metric for my JD 4400 rear wheel bolts,what I want to do is run these clear through my wheel center and hub and and put double nuts and lockwasher on back side and nut on outside of center piece,what would be best though if I could find a stud with a tapered head and be long enough(since by wheel center has a tapered hole) on the outside of hub to double nut and fix these &%t$$^^% loose wheel bolts right since John deere obviously does not know how.

/ Loose wheel bolts on JD 4400/help please
If anyone knows where I can mail order some of these please let me know.
Thanks
Farm Boy

/ Loose wheel bolts on JD 4400/help please #3  
Saw this web site for M14 bolts. Good luck.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.imperialinc.com/grp218.shtml>http://www.imperialinc.com/grp218.shtml</A>

/ Loose wheel bolts on JD 4400/help please #5  
Check out Mcmaster Carr for the rod & also any other hard to find hardware. Their catalog search function is the best I've seen.

www.mcmaster.com

Hazmat

I new I would get help here.
Thanks

/ Loose wheel bolts on JD 4400/help please #7  
I hope THIS won't invaildate your priceless warranty....

Screw the warranty,John Deere can't fix it right so I will have to.I figured out it appears to be loosening up when the tractor is under load, IE pulling dirt with the backblade which I have been doing a lot of. Looking back thats when the problems all started.Then end of June the warranty expires and I am flying solo.I am learning how to solo now.

I have a 4400 that I bought new at the end of 2000. Now have 300+ hours and have never had a loose wheel bolt. Does anyone have a clue why some do and some don't?

I have the R-1 tires and wheels which I purchased a year later after buying the tractor,I originally had the R-4 tires but the traction was not what I needed.I used the R-1 tires from June 2001 and neve started having my loose wheel bolt problems until I started using my backblade to pull dirt,I was in a big landscape project and was using my tractor to cut down a bank about 500' long.The only thing I can figure is when I was using the blade to cut this dirt with the blade is,the back wheels were under load constantly and the bolt/axle hub design was not up to the job,John Deere replaced my wheel centers and axles saying they were damaged at the holes,I personnally could not see any damage to the holes,nothing a machinist could easily fixed .So I have a tractor with new wheel centers and axles/hubs after 12 hours of backblading moving and rolling dirt,this time dirt that had already been moved once prior but still a good amount of torque was required to move the dirt with my John Deere 4400 and JD 45 blade,the new wheel bolts started coming loose at 12 hours of operation,so my theory is it is the constant torque I was demanding of my tractor may be the culprit and the way the bolts are installed would not stay tight compared to using the tractor mowing or tilling etc..............I might add I never had this problem with the R-4 tires and last year with the R-4 tires I had put the tractor under the same load as I have under the R-1 tires which are bolted up the same way with the same bolts,but the R-4 tires allow more slippage than the R-1 tires,I had previously landscaped about 300' of road bank which was in excess of 50 hours of heavy backblade use using the R-4 tires which allows more slippage.