Bent bucket

/ Bent bucket #1  

6sunset6

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC34DA 34HP HST, 2 rear remotes, front diverter, loaded R4's
Ahh Knew I should not have done that. No before pictures but midway pictures and question. Welded a thumb base to the top of my bucket. Worked well for brush and logs . Big rock wrong. bucket is 10g .134 in thick. I decided to cut out the top and weld in a rectangular tube section. 3 x 5 x 3/16 68" long was $80. Jig saw, or friends plasma or my OA. Used OA but maybe jig saw would have worked. I don't like to use OA unless I really have to. Anyway cut was a little ragged but it's all buried under the weld. I am not the worlds greatest welder but then I have never had anything come apart either. So here is the question. Do I need to reinforce the 3 x 5 thumb mount ? Trade off to FEL lift. I was thinking the tube is really stiff and maybe a vertical web inside the bucket maybe 1/2 way down. Web would be in tension . How about under the hooks.? The one on left will be turned around off course.

Attachments

• IMG_5401.JPG
    IMG_5401.JPG
    579.4 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_5402.JPG
    IMG_5402.JPG
    564.1 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_5403.JPG
    IMG_5403.JPG
    530.7 KB · Views: 344
   / Bent bucket #2  
A cross over relief valve between the two grapple cylinder hoses might be a good idea. About $65.00 from the surplus center. Then you could reduce the amount of pressure going to the grapple cylinder, to open and to close (2 separate relief pressures) adjusting it to a point where your bucket is not flexing under the strain of the grapple.
Ken

/ Bent bucket #3  
With what you did, I think you don't need any more reinforcing up there. Not on the bucket nor for the grapple base. I did something very similar except welded the tubular bar on top of the bucket lip. I have two bucket grapples mounted and zero flex or bend.
You should be good to go.
Here's a couple pics ... fitting and finished.

/ Bent bucket
Thinking about how this happened , it was not the cylinders closing on something. I had a big rock in the grip and I tried to roll back the bucket and the rock hanging out pivoted around the bucket lip and forced something up . Was the top of the bucket.

Rob I will go with what you say. You have been doing this stuff for a while. Thanks

/ Bent bucket #6  
Yeah, you might as well try it like that.
I think you'll be alright, but if you get some flex or bend, you can always add gussets or a brace right away. It's just less weight right now and should be fine.

I should've done the same to my wife's skinny bucket top though. I didn't and the top of hers flexes, so I will add a round tube under the lip. I might cut the skinny lip off like you did.

/ Bent bucket
Rob Did you bolt on the anchor bar for the thumb? Do you ever take it off?

/ Bent bucket #8  
Rob Did you bolt on the anchor bar for the thumb? Do you ever take it off?
Yes, for both tractors. I bolted it on to the top lip.
No, I've never taken either off yet. My Kama has had the dual grapples on for 3 years now. I dig, move dirt, load with the bucket all the time. I like having them on because you never know, I seem to need them all the time for something. That's why I'm such an advocate for bucket grapples. When I fix Loretta's bucket lip, I'll most likely weld the grapple base on this time.
lol ... But watch, as soon as I do, I'll want to take them off.:confused:

/ Bent bucket #9  
I just bent the bottom cutting edge portion of my bucket a half hour ago removing a tree stump for my father in law. At first I was angry, then I was kinda proud that my low dollar homemade grapple put a whoopin on the bucket. I am still walking a little taller, and no, my wife doesnt know I tore up the tractor again:D

/ Bent bucket #10  
Thinking about how this happened , it was not the cylinders closing on something. I had a big rock in the grip and I tried to roll back the bucket and the rock hanging out pivoted around the bucket lip and forced something up . Was the top of the bucket.

Rob I will go with what you say. You have been doing this stuff for a while. Thanks
A great deal of that bend was caused by the bucket top yielding in response to torsional forces. Round tubing is best at resisting this twist around an axis. Rectangular is good for bending and comparatively poor [wrt round] for torsion. Since you have both forces, a tailored hybrid would be the ultimate answer. The square tubing however is quick and adequate. If it ever twists tho, put a tube down the center welded at the ends and spotted thru holes all along the length - or make a hybrid from scratch
larry.