Silver Member
    Tractor
    B7610 Kubota

Default Stop Leak?

I have a B7610 that I have rebuilt the water pump now twice. (once by me and once by the dealer). It is now leaking again. Both the dealer and I have checked the fan blade and pulley to make sure they are not out of round so as to vibrate and knock out a seal. At this point I'm pretty disgusted and am considering possibly using some sort of stop leak. It is my understanding that the newer versions will not stop up a radiator like they did in the past. Has anyone used a stop leak in their tractor with any success?

Hagman

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Stop Leak?

If it was me.. and the water pump seal was leaking at the fan shaft.. and had done so after 2 rebuilds.. I'd get a new water pump.

generally the seals leak when the bearings get worn.. the worn bearings allow play that allows the seals to wear.. once watrer gets in the bearing can outright die and thent he fan bores a hole thru the radiator.. BTDT got a tractor that has more solder than aluminum in the radiator!

It may be that the water pump housing is warped or has a defect.. so that the bearing or seal does not seat or ride correctly.. shaft may have a twist or bend or defect.

After 2 rebuild tries.. I'd get a different one..I'd probably smoke the old one over with a microscope and micrometer on a cold day when i had nothing else to do...

soundguy

Tractor
    Kubota L2800, 15 hp 372 Mitsubishi

I would also do as Sounguy would.
    Stopleak will do nothing for your pump seal but the water getting in your bearing will cost you more in the long run.
    Kubota L2800HST, Mitsubishi 372, bh75, 45" Agric tiller, 5' home made disk, 42" Bush hog, PHD, 66" Cammond BB.

Tractor
    JD 3020, JD 4230, JD 7410, JD 2440, MF 750, NH LS170

If it's leaking from a gasket the answer is yes stop leak products do work. Personally I use Zuntz and have had great success with it. If it's leaking from the shaft seal they won't do anything. As already mentioned your best thing to do is replace the pump.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    If it was me.. and the water pump seal was leaking at the fan shaft.. and had done so after ..
    I'd get a new water pump.
    I would have gotten a new water pump
    Skipped the 2 rebuilds
    And saved money
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4115 JD X300

When you install the next water pump, make sure the drive belt tension is not too tight.