Stop Leak?

/ Stop Leak? #1  

hagman

Silver Member
Tractor
B7610 Kubota
I have a B7610 that I have rebuilt the water pump now twice. (once by me and once by the dealer). It is now leaking again. Both the dealer and I have checked the fan blade and pulley to make sure they are not out of round so as to vibrate and knock out a seal. At this point I'm pretty disgusted and am considering possibly using some sort of stop leak. It is my understanding that the newer versions will not stop up a radiator like they did in the past. Has anyone used a stop leak in their tractor with any success?

Hagman

/ Stop Leak? #2  
If it was me.. and the water pump seal was leaking at the fan shaft.. and had done so after 2 rebuilds.. I'd get a new water pump.

generally the seals leak when the bearings get worn.. the worn bearings allow play that allows the seals to wear.. once watrer gets in the bearing can outright die and thent he fan bores a hole thru the radiator.. BTDT got a tractor that has more solder than aluminum in the radiator!

It may be that the water pump housing is warped or has a defect.. so that the bearing or seal does not seat or ride correctly.. shaft may have a twist or bend or defect.

After 2 rebuild tries.. I'd get a different one..I'd probably smoke the old one over with a microscope and micrometer on a cold day when i had nothing else to do...

soundguy

/ Stop Leak? #3  
I would also do as Sounguy would.
Stopleak will do nothing for your pump seal but the water getting in your bearing will cost you more in the long run.

/ Stop Leak? #4  
If it's leaking from a gasket the answer is yes stop leak products do work. Personally I use Zuntz and have had great success with it. If it's leaking from the shaft seal they won't do anything. As already mentioned your best thing to do is replace the pump.

/ Stop Leak? #6  
When you install the next water pump, make sure the drive belt tension is not too tight.
;)