Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 325,Gt225,, 110, XUV550S4, Kubota L275

Default ballast

Is it better to add liquid ballast or cast iron weights to your rear wheels? I have heard some horror stories about liquid ballast leaking and rotting out the rims, but many people use it. I put cast iron weights on my Cub Cadet but had a heck of a time finding ones that fit. Which is better?

Tractor
    Several Antique Garden tractors

Default Re: ballast

Either will wprk well and both have their good and bad points.
    The cast iron wheel weights are easier to install yourself and can be removed more easily if the need arises. On the bad side they are much more expensive.
    The liquid filled tires are cheaper. The liquid has to be installed by someone who knows what they are doing and has the proper equipment.
    The weight of the liquid in the tires can be adjusted by the amount of calcium chloride disolved in the water. If calcium chloride is used as ballast tubes must be used unless you are soon going to be selling your tractor to someone you wish to punish.
    The calcium chloride will kill vegitation if it leaks out.
    Bill

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 325,Gt225,, 110, XUV550S4, Kubota L275

Thanks. The extra money the weights cost me was well worth it to me. Kinda heavy putting them on though!

Tractor
    Deere 5520 MFWD

The other reason people use liquid ballast is that it does not add to the rolling "inertia" of the tires, and is alot easier on the drivetrain than a comparable amount of wheel weight.

Tractor
    MF 220 - Long 2360- Kioti 3054

Why not build your own wheel weights? It isn't hard and is a lot cheaper. I among others have built their own using lifting weight plates. I think that the last discussion on this was in the NH Owning/operating forum last week. Look for ' 101 lbs wheel weights '

My local dealer has been using antifreeze solution in the tubless tires. No rusting problem with that.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Bolens HT-20

There's another forum that addressed this same subject. One of the illustrious posters there suggested checking the local NAPA dealer for the tool to attach to the valve stem. It has a hose fiiting on it as well as an air bleed. I promptly took that suggestion and purchased one for around 20 bucks. Haven't used it yet. I did have chloride put in the rears some years ago. When a puncture resulted in the chloride draining down the drive and killing the first 4" to 6" of sod along the edge, I decided to go the route of somthing more environmental. I plan on using RV pink antifreeze. Not as heavy, but it'll serve my purpose. I also plan on filling the fronts as well. I find I lose some traction at times while turning.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Bolens HT-20

Here are the posts from that discussion:
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/...o=0&fpart=