Best way to remove this bearing race?

/ Best way to remove this bearing race? #1  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
I had the bearings in my steering column and steering box go out recently. The new bearings came with new races which is a good thing because the old ones are pitted. The old race in the end of the steering column appears to be pressed in (rather than a permanent part of the column and since the new bearing come with races I assume they are replaceable but the manual isn't clear on this point) and I am now faced with how to get the old one out (if indeed it is meant to come out)
I have a crow bar that fits perfectly inside the column and against the bottom edge of the race. At first I tried fast repeated "gentle" taps against the race, trying to knock it out and slowly progressed to full out beating with a 3# hammer but so far it hasn't budged. I really don't want to just destroy it while attempting to remove it but I am beginning to wonder if somehow cutting the old one out isn't going to be my only option. I have thought about trying to make a puller but the inside edge is very thin (0.075") so there's not much to grab ahold of. I have it sitting in penetrating oil right now in hopes that will help later. I have considered heating it but haven't gone down that road yet. Anyone got any suggestions befor I go any further???

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    585 KB · Views: 669
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    630.4 KB · Views: 463
   / Best way to remove this bearing race? #2  
I can't say whether it would work on that or not, but one way I've removed and installed bearings and races that were too tight was to heat the outer piece (just boiling water worked for me), then dry ice on the inner piece (the race you want to remove), then a sharp rap with that 3# hammer.

/ Best way to remove this bearing race? #3  
Run a bead of electric weld around the inside of the race. That will cause it to shrink when cooled, and should drop out.

/ Best way to remove this bearing race? #4  
Ron, that's something I never tried or thought of (maybe because I didn't have a welding rig at the time), but that certainly makes sense and sounds like a good idea.

/ Best way to remove this bearing race? #5  
If there's an auto parts store near you that loans tools,such as O'Reillys or Auto Zone,you might try a pilot bearing puller.

/ Best way to remove this bearing race? #6  
If you have access, I have seen freon used to cool the race, after the whole part is heated. it will come right out. Reverse to install.

/ Best way to remove this bearing race? #7  
I was in NAPA last week and had to wait in line for 30 minutes again, and saw they had a can on the shelf witch was something like liquid nitrogen. just for this use. What i liked about it was that it was only 5 or 6 bucks and I didn't have to heat any thing.

/ Best way to remove this bearing race? #8  
Run a bead of electric weld around the inside of the race. That will cause it to shrink when cooled, and should drop out.

Could be a little tricky but it's certainly something I'd never thought of and could just work!

/ Best way to remove this bearing race? #9  
The welding idea is interesting! If you can't pull it and temperature manipulation fails, you might have to break it out. Races are hard and a couple good hits with a cold chisel should break it...

/ Best way to remove this bearing race? #10  
,,,,,,,. The old race in the end of the steering column appears to be pressed in (rather than a permanent part of the column and since the new bearing come with races I assume they are replaceable but the manual isn't clear on this point) and I am now faced with how to get the old one out (if indeed it is meant to come out)............
Another method that usually works is to cut it out using a Dremel tool & abrasive disk to make a slot in the bearing race. I've taken side bearing races out of a transaxle this way - even with the unit still in the car. Sometimes the only access is to cut a long diagonal slot - but it works well.

Last edited: