Generac 7000 watt home Generator Battery

/ Generac 7000 watt home Generator Battery #11  
Speaking from experience, the engine battery in Generac systems should be replaced every 5 years, (6 max). If you wait until the battery goes bad, the weekly exercise test will engage the starter solenoid until it overheats and burns out. Not enough power to start the motor, but enough to fry the solenoid. Any auto store battery will work, just match the physical size.

Thanks for that info am about 5 years on my battery.

/ Generac 7000 watt home Generator Battery #12  
SOS..

Any "26R" battery should work.. We install at least one of these units a day and none of them come with batterys..we pick them up by the pallet load.. Make sure when you change the battery you turn the unit off and take the small fuse in the control panel next to the "off on auto" switch out while you change it,,, If you don't you might blow the built in charger..

after you change the battery you will have to set the exersize time again before the unit is ready to put back in service,,, Good luck..

/ Generac 7000 watt home Generator Battery #13  
Go to your local Deka battery store or dealer and ask for a "glass mat" replacement. They are a "gel" type battery that will last for several years. I have one in my Polaris 4wheeler that is going on it's 7th year and yes that is correct.

/ Generac 7000 watt home Generator Battery
It was the battery issue due to the trickle charger but I also replaced the silenoid just in case. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Note the company that sold the generator to me wanted to replace the start for $800 .... Who knows what they were thinking... You all are the best. Thanks.

;)

/ Generac 7000 watt home Generator Battery #15  
Great thread. I may need a battery also. I have a Briggs and Statton 7000 watt Home Standby generator that was installed 4 1/2 years ago. This weekend I tried to start the generator but could only get the solenoid to rattle. The trickle charger was charging and the I got 13 volts on the meter, but no start. Could the battery still have no cranking power left due to age? Temps. are sub-freezing for months at a time at this location so maybe even with trickle charge and battery warmer battery it is too much for the small batteries. How does one troubleshoot the starter contact (solenoid). What are the symptoms of a faulty contact? Thanks

Mike

/ Generac 7000 watt home Generator Battery #16  
Just found the Briggs battery that hasn't really been discontinued, they simply changed from a 33ah battery to a 35 ah. Apex battery sells and ships it for 77.00 dollars. I went ahead and ordered one.

SBS S12330 Battery - Free Shipping

/ Generac 7000 watt home Generator Battery #17  
Speaking from experience, the engine battery in Generac systems should be replaced every 5 years, (6 max). If you wait until the battery goes bad, the weekly exercise test will engage the starter solenoid until it overheats and burns out. Not enough power to start the motor, but enough to fry the solenoid. Any auto store battery will work, just match the physical size.[/QUOTe

I agree with this.

/ Generac 7000 watt home Generator Battery #18  
I found it cheaper to go to Wallyworld and just locate the garden tractor battery that fits.

/ Generac 7000 watt home Generator Battery #19  
BTW I never did a follow up. Replacing the battery fixed the problem. My generator starts and run s fine now. Thnaks for the help everyone.