Work Trac (Jinma 284) hard to start in cool weather

/ Work Trac (Jinma 284) hard to start in cool weather #1  

talon86

I have a Work Trac 284 (Jinma 284).

I have had this tractor about a year and a half. It is a great tractor in the summer but once the temperature dips into the 40's at night, it is very difficult to start. After reading other posts on this site about this problem, the following info may help some knowledgeable member figure out the problem and solution.

1. Tractor starts and runs without problem in the summer.
2. When the glow plugs are activated the amp meter does not indicate any drain at all. Not 30A then 20A after 20 seconds. It shows no drain at all.
3. The copper conducting strip (my name) that connect the glow plugs shows 12.26V when the heater in engaged. The battery shows 12.35V when checked at pos/neg on battery with DMM.
4. I had this problem when I purchased the tractor originally. I called the dealer twice to get help but was told each time that I did not know how to properly engage the heater. When it was taken in for 50 hour service (90 miles away), I mentioned this problem. The dealer repaired the problem but did not tell me the cause. The fix worked six months but it is not working any longer.
5. Starter turns over very fast but engine fails to "catch". White smoke pours out during starting attempts. After 30 minutes, a dead battery and a jump from my truck, I eventually get the tractor to start. It fires slowly (a couple of firings with black/grey smoke) at first, and then on the 20th try it fires 15 times or so then starts.
6. Once the tractor reaches operating temp, it will start after a single attempt on the first or second turn of the engine.

My first thought was that the glows plugs are bad. However, since the dealer got the problem corrected once without installing new glow plugs I believe the problem lies elsewhere. However, the plugs could be bad now.

My next thought is the glow plugs are somehow being grounded and not pulling any amps.

Let me state that I am by no means a mechanic or electrician. However, I am learning bit by bit. I have a digital MM and can use it if I know what to check.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. A call to the dealer will result in them telling me I am not engaging the heater properly. They will not remember correcting the problem or the solution. I am not hauling the tractor 90 miles again to fix the problem.

/ Work Trac (Jinma 284) hard to start in cool weather #2  
Go to the Chinese tractor section of this forum. You will find the fixes to all your problems.

Starter- Needs to be taken apart, cleaned, lubed, and reinstalled. Don't forget the solenoid.

Glow plugs- Either it has 3 bad plugs or they are working. It looks as if you are getting voltage to the bus bar. Do a search in the Chinese tractor section on how to bench test each plug. Here is the simple way. Take it out and check the OHMS on each at room temp, 70 deg. Touch on lead to where the copper bar attaches and the other to the threaded portion of the plug. If you find one way out you have found the problem. If you go to the area I mentioned you will find the specs for the glow plugs.

Spend $20 and get a lower radiator hose block heater. It takes a 1 1/2" heater. Plug it in 1 hour before use and it will start likes it summer time.

Also, where do you live? Go fill out your profile so we can help you. I have a Jinma and 450 hours on it. I can talk you through a lot of these minor issues.
Chris

/ Work Trac (Jinma 284) hard to start in cool weather
Thanks Diamondpilot for the feedback. I will search the correct place next time before asking. I live in Hattiesburg, MS and will update my profile accordingly.

Thanks again for your response.

/ Work Trac (Jinma 284) hard to start in cool weather #4  
Take a jumper wire from the battery to the copper buss bar on the glow plugs. Leave it on about 20-30 seconds and then try to start the engine.