broken disc

/ broken disc #1  

don123

how do i fix this disc? seems that something broke on the left front plow in the middle.

thanks

Attachments

• 48-145296-disc.jpg
    48-145296-disc.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 244
   / broken disc #2  
A bit hard to tell from your picture Don but it can only be a couple of things: 1) Bent/broken disc blade. 2) Bent axle 3) Bent bearing carrier bracket.

If you lift the thing up on your TPH you should be able to diagnose it better. Try to spin the offending gang. It should be pretty obvious if the axle is bent and if it won't spin at all it may be the bearing. You're in luck if it's only the disc blade.

Repair is pretty much the same for all. Take apart and replace the damaged parts. Blades are cheap (~$20) but I don't know about the rest. You'll need some big wrenches to unscrew the axle nut. Once the axle nut is off, the parts will all slide off and the bearing will unbolt from the frame.

Good luck, is it yours? I still need to replace a blade for a friend. Unfortunately, neither of us has much time for it right now /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ broken disc
thanks, maybe this view will help,
seems something came unwelded in the left front middle area

Attachments

• 48-145446-disk.jpg
    48-145446-disk.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 249
   / broken disc #4  
A good welder should be able to make the repair quickly...kinda looks like it was tack welded,and maybe you should have the other disc check also.

/ broken disc #5  
Ooh, that doesn't look so good. Is that in the middle, between gangs? If so, it looks like a blade has come off and maybe some of the axle end mounting gear. Normally, on the gangs that meet in the middle there is a rounded end cap (like the one on the right in your picture). It acts as a bearing since those gangs will tend to contact each other. Maybe that broke off and the blade fell off with it? Do you know the manufacturer? A lot of disc parts are in stock at places like TSC and if you took that picture with you they could probably help /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I took one more look at your photo. Basically, the gang on the left should be a mirror image of the gang on the right if that helps any /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ broken disc #6  
I have a disc very similar to that one. Same/similar thing happened to mine. On mine, the end nut and end of shaft came off, ( axle broke at end ) I lost the nut, the end plate, and a disc at that end, and I also damaged the disc on the other end because it had slack, and layed over lik ethe one in the first picture. If he has a spare axle, he can get that nut at a hardware store, and some big ( huge ) washers, and make a fix out of it. Last I checked, tsc was going to stop carrying disc parts. As for bearings.. it is a terrible setup. The bearing race is just a grooved sleeve, and the axle spacer is groved to stay in the sleeve, there is a grease fitting on the sleeve.. but it is a 'designed to fail' part in my opinion, as there is no end seals on the sleeve, etc.. dirt gets in easilly, and needs to be greased often... more than once per day.

The kind with sealed bearings hold up better.. butt he bearings are so small, that they wobble and wear easilly. These small 6' dual ganged discs ar almost a hobby setup. Anything over a couple acres needs a 11' and up.. or needs to be plowed well first....

Soundguy

/ broken disc #7  
Just like that POS leinbach disk I had, end cap broke off on my first lawn install job. Went and bought a rototiller like the guy that sold me the tractor said to do. I had the washer welded back on but was not true to the face of the disk blade and acted like spring when trying to get axle nut torqued down. You have a round axle instead of square so in order for disks and spacers to rotate in unison you need to stand on a 10 foot wrench extension while having somebody you don't like holding a #$^@%^$%!%$^ pipe wrench an that round end cap.

There should be a law against that setup.

/ broken disc #8  
I was lucky to have a square axle, and all the spacers were setup for it.. but yes.. the repair I did with the washers was less than perfect.. it was hard to get a big wrench and pipe on the nut because of the deflection from the disc... deffinately was designed as a torcher device.
I was discing a 10 acre plot I recently bought a couple months ago, and had a 6' dual ganged heavy disc. Between the hidden rocks, and a burrind tree on it's side, I broke two axels that day, repaired it, had one come loose again. I got real tired ( and good ) at fixing that disc that day... If it breaks again... I'm getting a plow and tiller.

Soundguy

/ broken disc
i had someone come and repair with a welder for about $35.

he said my disk was a POS. i tend to agree. i'll run it till i tear it up again and then buy a new one and not try to skimp on the price with a used one.......

/ broken disc #10  
Glad to hear you're back up and running Don. 35 bucks isn't bad for a repair /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif I was kind of hoping we'd keep this thread alive long enough for JMIII to post an exploded view of disc but it sounds like you won't be needing that /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif